Root of (all of) Roon’s search issues?

I’m bedridden after an op, so using a LOT of Roon while reading about Jazz and Roon. Fun times. This, my recent rant re: searching for new music, and another thread about search issues, made me pay closer attention to my Roon setup’s search behavior. I found something interesting and reasonably repeatable.

If you search for an artist name that’s “out there”, i.e. quite uncommon, the results are often nothing or just a radio station/compilation. However if you immediately search again, without changing the string at all, just hit search button and hit return, you could get very different results the second time. I had this happen both times when searching for “Snarky Puppy” and when searching for “Jan Garbarek”. Searching was repeated within <5s. It seems like a timeout / caching of search results, or even a thread race condition.

Note my iPad measured 680/37Mbps, so it’s not my link. My Roon Core should be even faster since it is hard wired cat6 to 1000/40 fiber router. So it’s clearly not my link to Roon, but it could well be a “timeout” before my app getting answer from Roon server, for less common search criteria. Or a timeout of search results between Roon and Tidal/Qobuz cloud APIs (I use both).

See attached images. The order is a bit warbled since I’m posting from my iPad, but should be self explanatory.

I would appreciate if others can try to repeat. Try some random less known names from List of jazz musicians - Wikipedia.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Nicol

I’ve just tried this with several of the musicians from the link you provided. I’m not seeing the same thing you are. No differences between search 1 and 2; I’m using a MacBook Pro over WiFi to a wired Roon Core which resides on a Mac.

Thanks for trying, Andrew. Was it unknown names? - Don’t use the two artists I used above - they will already be cached.

It was not the names you used. I tried 5 others, picked at random.

Thanks for confirming. Weird, since I managed to repeat so easily. Where are you based? I’m in Southern California.

Just north of Boulder, Colorado.

I just tried this several times and did not see a difference from the first to the second time searching either. I am in Northern MN

Tried now (latest 1.8), jazz musicians I’d never searched for and I don’t have in my library (used 2020 Grammys runners-up I didn’t know :wink: ) No difference between first and second search from my Macbook, with core on Ubuntu Server. Northern CA.

I tried both of your jazz artist and I would say it takes about 1 seconds to get a result. I have tried 2 times and both time same results in the search and Roon found the artist.

Could this be a bug in Roon v1.8 ? i’m still using Roon v1.7