rooWatch - Smart control for Roon using Apple Watch and Siri

I’m having issues with roowatch …it’s on the watch but won’t start but only responds with a little display motion and doesn’t open. I’ve tried removing and adding it again same issue, downloaded it again too, pi and lic is running wifi is connected all on the same ssid

iOS 15.5 and latest watch OS too…no beta’s and restarted everything

Can you please try to restart the Apple Watch?

I have done that… and subsequently reset the apple watch to factory and restored but now I can even load the app in the watch settins on the iphone…not showing up in available to install despite a purchased app

this is the video you need to watch not the one in the PDF on the googledrive

I realised why mine was broken as it was installed as part of the beta and done in testflight so now must install from the app store on the watch not the iphone

OK for others here that suffer this issue you can actually use the APP Store App on the watch to download direct to the watch… this solved the issue. Dont recall doing this before.

perhaps update the instructions on the web as there is nothing about how to install the roowatch app on the watch.

1 Like

@DrCWO and @Klaus_Engel - I just updated my Nuimo Hub with the latest available rooExtend version 2.2.1, installed rooWatch, and got the “7 days test license” to add the license key in the License Manager.

I am really impressed how well rooWatch works, great job!

It seems as if I might have encountered a bug though: Using swipe within the rooWatch app, swiping only works in one direction (I can only go back, but not forward), differently than shown in the YouTube Video rooWatch - How to use the Apple Watch with Roon.

When “Reverse Swipe” is set to inactive, swiping to the right side does nothing, whilst swiping to the left side starts the next song in the queue, which is correctly shown on the Apple Watch display.
When “Reverse Swipe” is set to active, swiping to the right side does nothing as well, whilst swiping to the left side start the currently playing song again, respectively when swiping again, it jumps to the previous song in the queue.

Either way, this is not how I would understand “Reverse Swipe”, especially when comparing it to “Reverse Volume” (which works as intended).

I assume swiping to the right should always start the next song in the queue, and swiping to the left should always start the currently playing song in the queue again, respetively when swiping again, it should jump to the previous song in the queue.

Activating “Reverse Swipe” should simply exchange the functionality which is triggered by “Swipe left” and “Swipe right”.

Would you mind to have a look into this?

Regarding the UI, having the rooWatch logo on the upper left of the Apple Watch screen seems a little out of place - especially as the used font does not go hand in hand with the rest of the Apple Watch UI. The user knows which app currently runs, so from my point of view there is no need to advertise the app if it’s already running. :wink:

The zone, which is currently shown in the middle of the bottom of the screen, could be shown on the upper left instead, which would make it better readable, and would allow more space for the progress bar / seek bar.

1 Like

Which Apple Watch model and watchOS version are you using? On my Apple Watch 7 with watchOS 8.6 the app behaves exactly as expected from you.
Thank you for the suggestions for improving the app.

It’s an Apple Watch Series 4 GPS + Cellular (Model Identifier Watch4,4, Model Number A2008). The installed watchOS version is 8.6 (19T572), the latest public release version.

I think the touch area does not go as far to the edge of the screen on older Apple Watches. Could you try to start the swipe gesture further inside the display area?

Thank you for your quick reply. As you’ve asekd, I’ve tried the swipe gesture in the middle of the display, and that indeed works as intended.
When swiping from the edge of the display, it works well from the right edge of the screen, but not from the left.

I have Rooextend and the Roon surface dial add in, if I want to use rooWatch do I need to run another rooextend server or can the rooWatch extension be added as well?

No need for another rooExtend server for rooWatch. Just add the license key for rooWatch in the rooExtend license manager.

Hi folks.

Just got my Apple watch, and got rooExtend on my pi running, and everything 's working fine. I love it!! Thanks for building this. Cheers!

3 Likes

Not a big issue but about 3-4 times in the past few weeks rooExtend has lost the rooWatch licence key and I’ve had input it again to get rooWatch working again.

.sjb

1 Like

Hello there,
Same for me, sometimes I have to set again the license key of rooExtend in Roon extensions. I got an Apple watch since a few weeks using my pi already running RooExtend, and everything is working fine. Thanks DrCWO for this great app.
Have a good day.
Philippe

The mechanism is as follows:
rooExtend asks the sellcodes license server once a day if the license(s) are valid. If it can‘t access the server it tries five more times in the subsequent days. If it gets no response on theye consecutive requests, it invalidates the license code.
My guess is that your rooExtend sometimes has problems accessing Sellcodes.
If you encounter the situation for the next time please send your complete logs to me via info@definiteaudio.de and I will get into it.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

Ah, I‘m not the only one experiencing this.
I‘ll try and collect logs next time this happens to me.

1 Like

I have come back from holiday to the same problem a couple of times as well.
These days I keep the license Keys handy, just in case and copy and paste them in

1 Like

It’s happened again, how do I locate the logs you mention?

EDIT: found log file and I’ve sent them on to you by email.

Thanks

.sjb

1 Like

Me too! Had to reinstall the license

Where are the logs? On the rooExtend device, or on the Roon core?