Ropiee On Vacation

Can’t quite figure out how to do this so any help would be appreciated. I’m planning to go on vacation and would like to take ROON and an endpoint with me. I’m going to use a laptop for the server and since I’ll be on my hosts network I’ll be able to change the laptop wireless settings no problem. I can’t figure out though how to change the settings on my endpoint, which is a raspberry Pi 3, with I2S DAC with a Ropieee OS… There’s no longer SSH access in ropieee, so how do I get in to add the new network credentials? Can I do it by editing the microSD card with windows? I can’t automatically assume I’ll have access to their router to plug in an ethernet cable.

Use the web gui to change any network settings, on the network tab.

You can run an Ethernet cable from your laptop to the Pi. That should work.

Might be a silly question, but why not just use your laptop as the core and remote/endpoint? Or is there some device you need to use the Pi for?

1 Like

How do you access the web gui, if you don’t have wireless access configured for the new location?

1 Like

That’s I think is why RoPieee on the Pi… The laptop wouldn’t have but USB out.

1 Like

my endpoint has a better I2S DAC attached to a powered speaker.

1 Like

Initial setup is done via Ethernet. Take a small cable with you and plug the Pi into the router. You should be good to go then.

2 Likes

Tried that but it’s not a plug and play solution. I suspect. It would require some changes to the ICS settings in window wouldn’t it? Research so far suggests it may not be a good idea to configure the laptop as a bridge. Not sure why. I’ll research it further but I 'm deferring that for now…

1 Like

yes I am aware of that, but if you read my post more closely you’ll see I can’t assume I’ll have access to the router.

1 Like

You can setup a private network using static IP addresses, and either use a small switch or a direct ethernet cable between laptop and pi (not sure whether you will need a crossover cable or not in this case).

EDIT: I am not understanding the problem. If you will be on a new network that your laptop will have access to, why can’t your PI use the same network, presumably DHCP? Or, is it that you won’t know the new IP address?

There’s no way to add the SSID without an Ethernet connection. I’d change the MacBook to static IP (same subnet as used in your home*) and then connect the Pi directly. A crossover should be unnecessary. Then change the Wi-Fi settings on the Pi web UI.

*May be worthwhile setting the Pi to fixed IP for this, and doing a trial run at home.

Forget the RPi and use a USB cable between Core and DAC.

2 Likes

You can turn on your laptop hotspot and connect your RPi to that using WIFI. You can set this up before you leave home. The laptop hotspot will have the same SSID regardless of what ISP your laptop is connected to.

I actually have this exact same situation with my Dell XPS 15 I use at my mother-in-law’s house. To make it super easy, I bought another RPi4 and set it up for this single purpose. At the MIL’s house, I use my iPhone and 2 iPad hotspots to feed internet to my Dell. There is no other ISP available.

I went this route when I bought a Mojo 2 that was getting noise from the Dell USB port. I first tried a USB to ethernet dongle/cable connected to the RPi, but couldn’t get that to work.

Click on the network ICON in bottom right corner of Windows 10 screen to turn on your laptop hotspot. You can name it anything you want. Use that name when setting up (or changing) your RPi.

Note: I’m not suggesting you use your iPhone hotspot, that’s just what I have to do with no internet at my MIL’s house.

1 Like

if you can figure out a way of connecting an I2S HAT DAC to USB I’d love to hear it.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Missed that part.

In that case, I guess my reply is that since you are only planning a vacation solution why complicate things? You didn’t say what DAC you have, but it has a USB input, doesn’t it?

Edit : never mind this is the first time a HAT has been mentioned.

Carry on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like there’s no easy way to do this so I’ll go with Volumio. it has a fallback hotspot when the regular network is not available I can use that to add the new network credentials when I find them.At least I’ll be able to use Spotify Connect and not have resort to Bluetooth.

Did you read this? Couldn’t be easier.

1 Like

Great idea! I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Many thanks!

1 Like

Got it. Excellent. I was a little puzzled about where to Pi’s transient ip address would be, but found it no problem. Many thanks.

2 Likes