Ropiee Wifi issue on Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra

ok clear. That’s what I wanted to know :wink:

It is also possible to switch the CM3 card, but remember to get a heat sink with it.

I can confirm that the CM3 32GB module works with dietPie (am about to install Ropiee) so the smaller ones will work as well which is all you need.

But copying the Volumio image from the original over to the 32GB did not work for me. It might have to do with the kernel Volumio uses being to old or something else.
I also have the the LakeWest streamer.

1 Like

Just for my understanding: Is there a way to go back to the original Pro-Ject image after flashing Ropieee? Looks like the orignal image is not availble on the web … I assume that I have to backup original image before flashing Ropieee. Is that correct?

Yep - back up the eMMC before re-flashing, I don’t think the Volumio image is available anywhere online.

Simon.

Perfect. Thanks! I will give it a try.

Michael

And if any kind soul who did back up the Volumio software before zapping their eMMC (unlike myself) I would be very grateful to grab a copy :blush:

Hey guys - I am brand-new to Roon and to the Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra, but I have been watching this thread because I also prefer the look of the Ropieee interface to Volumio. Do you guys know if there’s anyway to make the “now playing” screen on Volumio look like Ropieee’s (as far as larger album artwork)? I’ve got a 7" touchscreen hooked up to my new Stream Box S2 Ultra which I’m basically just using to display album art, not really to control the system, and I want the art to be clearly visible from my listening position.

Also, would any of you wonderful people be kind enough to write up a simple guide for how you got Ropieee working on your Stream Box S2 Ultra (bonus points if it involves Etcher and a Mac)? I have read a couple of guides about flashing the CM3 and I’ve got some basic experience with RPi in general so I’m not totally clueless, but I could really use some help to make sure that 1) I backup the stock firmware and 2) I don’t totally brick the device.

Thanks so much and I’m excited to be joining the Roon community!!

Yesterday I have installed Ropieee on my Stream Box S2 Ultra. To be able to use 5.8GHz Wifi I plugged in a TP-Link T3U USB Wifi Stick. Everything worked right out of the box. Perfect! Thanks for Ropieee.

I’ve just ordered a Steam Box S2 Ultra. Since it’s a glorified RPI with an HDMI, I was wondering if you could hook one of those RPI touchscreens to it. I’ve been searching forums and I finally came across your post. So you can?! Which one do you use? Also, I agree that Ropieee is better. I will be using Roon and I’m hoping it’s interface will show up on an attached touchscreen. Have you tried? Thanks in advance…

I would absolutely love some tips on this too! My Stream Box randomly restarts and it drives me nuts, I’m hoping that RoPieee might be the answer but have absolutely no idea how to load it on to the unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guide (Windows 10) use at your own risk:

1. Download ropiee and etcher
  2. Download rpiboot_setup [ https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/computemodule/cm-emmc-flashing.md ]
  3. Install etcher and rpi_boot (reboot if needed)
  4. Connect stream box to power, ethernet and usb (the small usb input [ Bypass ] )
  5. Turn on stream-box until 2 blue lights
  6. Press boot on back 5 sec until blinking red light
  7. Start etcher and flash as usual
  8. Leave bootloader by pressing usb/pc on front
  9. Wait until ropiee updates (ethernet must be connected)
3 Likes

Thanks - do you know of the rpi_boot equivalent for use with a Mac? Also, how do you extract the stock firmware file so that it could be reinstalled at a later date if necessary?

For a Mac, it’s similar to the Linux instructions.

HomeBrew can be used to install libusb.

git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/raspberrypi/usbboot
cd usbboot
make
sudo ./rpiboot

Either use dd to backup the current eMMC or ApplePiBaker (and probably Etcher) can do this too
[When typing the dd command you can drag volumes or files/images into the terminal window to provide the full path]

Wi-Fi is working great here (Thanks @spockfish), and I have no need to visit the network tab, so avoiding a rescan. However there is a scan performed whilst (re)booting. This can make it appear that an upgrade has hung.

Since updating to 2.529 I have a problem using my TP-Link T3U USB Wifi Stick. Ropieee is using the Wifi device of the Pro-Ject streamer - not the TP-Link Wifi Stick. Is there any way to enforce the usage of the external Wifi Stick?

Maybe this feedback helps: abab596ecb440c28

Thanks

Michael

Hehe

Yeah. This is a consequence of the latest release: before the update there was no support for the internal WiFi card at all. That has now been fixed, but RoPieee is confused about internal/external cards and picks the internal one in this case.

I need to figure this one out, but for now there’s no ‘quick fix’ for this.

ok, thank you.

As workaround I have removed

blacklist 88x2bu

from

/etc/modprobe.d/99-ropieee-disable-wifi.conf

With the change Ropieee uses the TP-Link stick.

I know that the change may not be permanent due to updates. Therefore I have deactivated them.

Hello,
I run also ropieee on a Streambox S2 Ultra, and wifi is a must.
Periodically is hung, dropouts occurring, usually at higher sampling rates.
On Ethernet is running without any problems.
Please fix it or allow to select another usb wifi adapter supported.
Last report submitted is 5259a41d3f3c83c6

Thank you

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier 37e9d310464bde66

Please leave a mail or a note on the Roon forum with this identifier. Thanks!

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier 7274d076174685af

Please leave a mail or a note on the Roon forum with this identifier. Thanks!

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier 9a13ab354887ff25

Same crash with WiFi disabled, logs send after reboot