Ropieee and Extensions Generally

I am interested in exploring all manner of extensions for Roon. I have two RPis with DAC or Digione HATs running Ropieee (Very satisfied with Ropieee btw).

Must/should I get a separate Rpi to do my extensions tinkering? Is it even possible to use my existing RPis to do double duty running an extension or two?

Thx.

DietPi has a Roon Extension manager installer for @Jan_Koudijs efforts. Iā€™m not sure if @spockfish Harry wants to consider a similar thing but I think he has a lot of other efforts planned that are probably a higher priority. I tried the DietPi option on an old original RPi which seemed to work Ok, but I am travelling now so havenā€™t really played too much with it.

Th reason why this didnā€™t happen already (I talked to @Jan_Koudijs about in the past) is because of RoPieeeā€™s principals: being a Roon endpoint that works out of the box AND always.

Having the extension manager also creates a possibility to ā€˜ruinā€™ a perfectly good working endpoint. And not because of the extension manager itself (thatā€™s a fine piece of work), but because of installing extensions in an uncontrolled manner. And on top of that all the intricacies involved in running Node.js apps.

So basically I want to prevent ā€œthis extension X is not working and thatā€™s because of RoPieeeā€ kinda situations. Iā€™ve been thinking about some kind of mechanism that whitelists extensions, but thatā€™s still a lot of work.

Perfectly reasonable and pretty much expected. AFAIAC, RoPieee has more than met its primary objective. Good stuff.

I think Ropieee is great, I run many Piā€™s with it, 3 with displays, others with Hats using DACs and AMPs (IQAudIO) plus others just as an endpoint with USB DAC and one with all 3 (DAC AMP and USB connections).

You mentioned IQAudio. I was contemplating their Digi-AMP+ to replace a Sonos AMP. I also looked at Allo, but their AMP hats donā€™t include a DAC.

Iā€™m driving ā€œBest Buyā€ quality outdoor speakers, so SQ isnā€™t a big issue.

Any recommendations from your experience?

I have several of the DigiAMP+ hats driving book shelves or balanced headphones and love them. One has a display too (for the bedroom) so it doubles as a clock at night when the music stops. I control it sleeping and ramping down the volume with the Alarm Clock extension

ALLO has the VOLT amp but I remocewd it and kist use the Piano 2.1 now with Kali and Sparky for one setup and a USBridge for another. I like to play with lots of hardware options, but most all of my RPi 3ā€™s use Ropieee and IQAudio setups.

DigiAMPs are presently in short supply here in the US. Thanks for the rec.

I use a stand alone Raspberry Pi zero W for extensions, running DietPi. This is low cost, and means that any issue doesnā€™t result in not playing music. I follow the same logic in that I also separate audio end points from the associated displays (so 7 RoPieee devices).

My two cents Canadian.

2 Likes

So, does it make sense to ask about this again for Ropieee XL?

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering the same - Iā€™d like to be able to try out the new lock screen extension without setting up another RPi.