RoPieee and Micro SD size

In the Getting Started page at the RoPieee Internet site can be read: “RoPieee requires an SD card of minimal 4GB in size”. There is no further information on a maximal or recomended size.

But in the same site in the A Beguinner’s Guide PDF document (updated with date 2018-12-07) in page 7 can be read “4g or 8g microSD card (avoid larger sizes)”.

I have been searching in this forum and I have found a post (RoPieee with 16 GB Micro SD Card [Resolved] posted by @Noel_Singgih that claims that with 16 GB it works.

Currently a 32 GB Micro SD is cheaper than a 16 GB from the same manufacturer, for example a SanDisk model in Amazon. Just a couple of euros. Not a big deal, but, it could be inconvenient buy a 32 GB Micro SD and find out that it is useless for its main purpouse: Running RoPieee.

So the question is: is there any issues with 32 GB Micro SD cards or should I go for a 16 GB model?

Thanks.

Hi @acatala,

We had problems “in the beginnings”. But I use 16 and 32gb myself, so it should work.

@Nathan_Wilkes: maybe we should remove that entry from the doc.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @spockfish, that’s good news!!

Guide updated. Thanks @acatala.

1 Like

Hi @spockfish Harry, I have few questions: -

1. I have a spare 64GB Sandisk SDXC card, will it work for Ropieee?
  2. Or do I need to purchase a 16/32GB micro SD card?
  3. What type of microSD format will it work? FAT32, exFAT?

Thank you.

@spockfish I read for a non Raspberry Pi board that A1 cards are better supported than the faster A2 cards, and in fact, the A2 can be a pessimization. Is this correct information for all RPi cards?

Any card should work fine. I would recommend the high endurance ones, there’s no need for a fast card.

As per the format, when you write the image into the card it gets formatted, so it doesn’t really matter what format the card has before that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Anyway I am getting a new Sandisk A1 32GB microSD as my spare microSD has been unreadable despite re-formatting. Thanks again.

I have been using SanDisk 32GB MAX Endurance for a couple years without issues.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation but before your answer I have ordered standard SanDisk Class A1 32GB. Hope it will work but shorter lifespan.

Btw, do i need to install heat sink onto the microprocessor and RAM? I do not want noisy fan and sucking dust into RPi unit

This is my rpi4 ver. 1.2 running h24 inside a Flirc passive case