RoPieee - Feature requests

Not sure if this has been requested earlier but it would come in handy if we could save RoPieee configurations so that they can be easily restored after a re-flash or when we want to copy a config from one RoPieee to another.

1 Like

This actually crossed my mind a few times. I’m reinstalling stuff all the time, so it would be great if you could ‘sync’ settings easily.

Challenging part is how to do this without introducing something like an ‘account’.

Could you write something to the installation flash card and the user could copy that off manually if they wanted to?

sure, but that to me doesn’t sound very user friendly :slight_smile:

Probably not but I’m not sure it would be used by anyone who couldn’t cope…

Agreeing on that. Still thinking on how we can store this in the cloud.
Maybe with a opaque identifier or something like that.

Stick a hash on the card that the user can go look up in the cloud?

yes something like that

Interesting discussion @ged_hickman1 @spockfish.

I am not sure storing a hash on the card would be a net plus for the user — often (but not always) the reason for the re-flash is the card itself, and remembering to access, retrieve, and store a hash elsewhere seems more work than simply setting the config values again, especially if one has setup DHCP reservations or isn’t using static IP.

I’d be inclined to think that a more standard email login / config retrieval system might be easier for the normal user to use?

Another approach would be to store config values for all RoPieee devices on a network on all devices, and to suggest auto fill (or “copy from”) when setting up a “new device”? There would be some overhead involved here regarding setup when adding the second device (eg key mgmt in a secure way).

Or, even more simply, a simple export function to backup a config, say to a text file, and the ability to import that config. I prefer to build systems that don’t require access to a file system (eg using a phone or tablet for all config and setup), but this is another approach.

Alternatively, improving the speed and accuracy of RoPieee setup could be achieved by:

• Drop down for Roon Zone (to avoid typos)
  • Auto magically suggest timezone

Nathan

Hi Harry,

Have you any plans to support the TEAC AI-503 USB DAC?

https://teac.jp/jp/product/ai-503/top

I don’t see it in your list of Supported Audio Outputs

Regards
Hideaki

Hi Harry,

Have you any plans to support the DENON PMA-60 USB DAC?

I don’t see it in your list of Supported Audio Outputs

Regards
Hideaki

All USB DAC’s will work out of the box. The list on the website only mentions devices that support native DSD.

Hey all, forgive me if this has already been mentioned further up the thread - it’s a long one!

I’d really love to be able to use Roon extensions - specifically a sleep timer/alarm clock function. I run ROCK + a couple of RPis, and my understanding is that I cannot install the extensions on either the ROCK server or the RPI endpoints either.

I have no idea whether it’s feasible, or how much work would be required, but the ability to install Roon extensions on a RPI would be amazing.

Cheers! John

You can under Dietpi

How about a button which just sends the config to the browser interface as a JSON (or yaml, whatever) response? The user could then copy it off the browser and save it to the location of their choice.

2 Likes

Went back 50 or so and don’t see this so here it goes.
Really like the features on 7" touchscreen device. Thing is my Pi Katana is tucked away from my amps and HTR 6’ or so, right above are the record players (2 feet and 4feet away). Have read the cable from Pi to 7" TouchScreen can’t be more than 4-5 feet long before it might not work. (reliability)

So in my setup have ChromeCast TV that is detected in Roon and allow me to throw small album cover and large artist bio pics onto TV. What I would really love to see is an option that would allow more information along with that. Similar interface as touchscreen or even in addition to.
The option to make album cover picture default with artist picture being small might be preferred by some. Information like Bit-Rate of song, Bit-rate of device, Artist Bio, Album Review which can already be done with remote app and iPad or Android tablet.

Not sure how many others would also be helped by this.

Thanks for reading, awesome product.

I would love to show more info on the display, but Roon’s API does not expose that information atm.

There isn’t a technical reason, no. This is about me having the time to implement such a feature.

Too bad I think some are going to have these devices tucked away. Concerned with interference so using a directly attached sceen might not be an option. Unless its used as tv out or chromecast device. Will see if Roon has in roadmap.
Cheers

There is no interference from a screen.

1 Like