RoPieee - Feature requests

Is it possible to have the option in RoPieee to select which wifi band to use? I’d like to tell my RPi 3B+ to only use 5GHz. I don’t have (and don’t want to have) separate SSID’s for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

It would be useful if the Information page could show what USB devices are connected.

1 Like

Hi Michael - how did you get past the error about the missing strip binary when installing shairport, or didn’t you see that?

I get:

==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

Cheers
Jamie

I didn’t get that error when I installed Shairport using the new script provided by @MikeBrady. I suggest you post this over at the Shairport GitHub page for the Arch Linux installer. He might be able to help you with that.

Hi there. That sounds like an error with the configuration of the build tools. For example, see here:

Thanks Mike. I got loads of errors in the end, which I managed to fix by installating various dependencies - gcc, pkgconfig, make, binutils, autoconf, automake. All the dev tools basically.

I got it all working which is good, but it sounds like there’s a new script you’ve written that I can use which avoids the manual steps. Can you point me at the script?

Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie. Thanks for the post. The existing script specifies the library packages needed for building Shairport Sync, but it does not specify the build tools. I will experiment with adding those dependencies into the script, but in the meantime, the following should be done (as you probably found out the hard way!) before executing the makepkg command:

# pacman -S --needed base-devel
# pacman -S --needed git

Thanks Mike - yes I think I did what you did succinctly in a roundabout hacky fashion: your tidier way is good for my next install.

Cheers
Jamie

I would love to reduce the clockspeed of the RPI in order to use a psu with lower current e.g. 5V/1A.
Operation is possible today, but the red led is flashing and I don’t know what this means for the stability.

1 Like

Great idea and with a warm summer here reducing clock speed could also help keep PI cooler.

Thanks. Yes!
DietPi has the option to underclock from what I know. I don’t have long term experience using the Allo Digione Signature with occasionally flashing red light…maybe it will work all the time in a stable manner. Who knows other than @spockfish :slight_smile:

If your power LED flashes on boot up and while playing occasionally you should not have a problem (I haven’t in several months).

I had one card get damaged and light was flickering constantly when already booted (a rookie) while researching it music stopped and that led to a new micro SD card and power supply purchase…

Ropieee is light weight so still think you are better with it than DietPi under clocked…

Are you also running a 5V / 1A power supply? When this works stable I will go for it. It will spare me to buy an additional power supply. I would use the 5V/1A output of my Keces P8.

It only flashes while booting (not all the time) and when playing music (not every time, but often). With the original RPI PSU no flashing.

No I run my Pi from a IFI ipower 5v, the dac (Allo Katana) and analog out are powered by 2 out of 3 outputs on my r-core LPS. Third output is for my phono preamp.
With dietpi I often see flashing light with ropieee rarely other than boot up.

Ok! 2,5A with the ifi Power is sufficient compared to my 1A. IFi is no alternative due to the high differential noise. I will test it or wait for the Allo Shanti (it will be available soon)
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1378

Or maybe it is possible to underclock the RPI to a rate to avoid going over 1A. Maybe other people have some experiences or measurements of power consumption.

I was tired of waiting so bought this.
Has made a significant upgrade in sound of both my Allo Katana and iFi Phono 2. I find my Katana no longer needs the isolator, I power the DAC, and OP Amp from LPS as mentioned. Use the iPower for Pi.

2 Likes

Well @allo.com I heard that something is coming in very near future…fingers crossed :blush:

Now I tested it again! While playing the red led lights permanently (only blinking while booting and then solid red). It doesn’t matter if you are playing red book, MQA or 178k - solid red. Good news! 5V/1A linear power supply Keces P8.

When I access the web interface, the power is enough to access it, but the red light flashes occasionally while accessing.
Going into the device settings of the Digione Signature over roon while playing music(!) stops the music and the red light flashes. But the connection is stable and music plays again pressing play. After setting the device you can forget about that. Accessing the settings without playing works flawlessly. So yes: 5V/1A does work. Now I will run a 24h continues playing test. When it doesn’t pause during the test, I would say it is reliable.

It works reliable! :smile:

I would like to request support for the Rpi 4B.