RoPieee - Feature requests

I would love to see USB multi-channel support. Seems some have made it work.

1 Like

From what I gather, Kernel needs to be 5.11

@spockfish any chance?

Song sampling rate, format (PCM, MQA) and source (Tidal, Qobuz, local library) :slight_smile:

Hi, the change logs indicate that support for the Pi4 compuying module has been added. There is an expansion board for this module. This board has a PCIex1 slot. Will the sound cards connected to this slot be visible?
​ ​ Or, as an option, a regular Pi 4 can be converted to work with PCIEx devices. Will sound cards work like this?
​ ​ For example, HQPEmbedeed OS for X86 platforms sees without problems the ALSA device for ASUS Xonar and Creative sound cards.
​ ​ In general, it would be nice if RoPieee works with PCIex sound cards, since many of them are multichannel, and there are almost no multichannel USB devices in nature. Thank you for Va Trud !!!
​ ​ If I make a working PCIEx slot on a regular PI4 or purchase a Pi4 compuying module with an expansion board, will it be possible with your support to add the necessary libraries to work with sound cards of this type?

Hi Harry, I have used Ropieee for 3 years, love the simple (at least for the user) concept. The inevitable barrage of feature requests is, for me, a fool’s game. Ropieee became popular because it does one thing well - turn a RPi into a Roon endpoint. Efforts should be focused on doing it better and not doing more. As you know, good sound quality is by far the most valuable feature, commands big money and benefits everyone. I am sorry to say RPi/Ropiee lags the competition. For example PiCore gives much clearer and more delicate sound (provided CPU downclocking is selected). And lightweight solutions such as microRendu with a $50 iFi power absolutely trounces RPi/Ropieee with an expensive linear power supply. This need not be the case. May I politely request certain features be included on a new “sound quality” menu - this should not be hard for you to do. 1) Selection of constant minimum CPU clock speed 2) Ability to turn off hardware and software leaving just the absolute minimum to support ethernet plus one USB port setup, no screen - ie turn a RPi into a microRendu. Thank you for listening.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna respond on the ’ this should not be hard for you to do. ’

So wrt to software: RoPieee runs with the minimum required. If you don’t have a touchscreen attached there is no touchscreen software running.

What remains is a missing underclock feature. This has been on and off my list, but maybe I should put it back on.

8 Likes

This would worth a user feedback beta in my opinion.

I run all my diet-pi machines at 600 Mhz (power save) governor. I’ve never A/B’d sound from performance / power save but my understanding of the Pi architecture is the CPU freq. governs other board frequencies so setting to power save impacts other clocks on the board. That should provide better sound quality? At least… worth a test if possible. This may be more important for a 3 vs. a 4.

All my RoPieee Pis have hats on them so I expect I’d not hear a difference (the hat is supposed to eliminate an issue with the Pi itself influencing sound quality). But, I’d be excited to participate in a beta.

Harry, thanks for responding. I apologise for my (lack of) writing skill. What I meant was it should not be difficult for a top engineer like you and certainly not meant to say the job is easy. Ropieee is a top-level product because you made it easy and seamless for us and we all appreciate the skill and work behind it. Thank you for clarifying the minimum software (again). Those of us who are committed Ropieee supporters hate it when “our” software is questioned for sound quality. I have done detailed sound quality comparison of underclocking RPi4 with some other “competitor” softwares and find the effect is to reduce the background clutter such that the music becomes clearer and more energetic in a good way. I really wish Ropieee can be beyond question in this regard. Thanks again.

Hi, the change logs indicate that support for the Pi4 compuying module has been added. There is an expansion board for this module. This board has a PCIex1 slot. Will the sound cards connected to this slot be visible?
​ ​ Or, as an option, a regular Pi 4 can be converted to work with PCIEx devices. Will sound cards work like this?
​ ​ For example, HQPEmbedeed OS for X86 platforms sees without problems the ALSA device for ASUS Xonar and Creative sound cards.
​ ​ In general, it would be nice if RoPieee works with PCIex sound cards, since many of them are multichannel, and there are almost no multichannel USB devices in nature. Thank you for Va Trud !!!
​ ​ If I make a working PCIEx slot on a regular PI4 or purchase a Pi4 compuying module with an expansion board, will it be possible with your support to add the necessary libraries to work with sound cards of this type?

Hi Harry, is it possible to extend Ropieee with a bluetooth remote volume slider? I am reading about an other project that uses a Raspberry Pi Zero W of model 4 and a Roon extension to adjust the volume with a Microsoft Surface Dial.
I would like this feature very much.

1 Like

I’ve got two clock related requests:

1. an analog clock option

2. an option to have the clock come on when playing music. The track info could show when the track starts, but then after like 10-15 seconds, the clock comes back.

thanks, your software is fantastic!

Sheldon

2 Likes

Or maybe a clock in the corner of the screen while music is playing? it wouldn’t be as big as the screen saver clock but…

2 Likes

Well, if we’re talking about clocks…

I’d love to have the ability to completely turn off the display (no clock, no backlight, display OFF) for programmed hours each day if music not playing - say from 00:00 to 06:00.

(I can’t help but think that this existed in an early version of RoPieee - but I may be going mad.)

Whether this happens or not: big thanks to Harry. RoPieee makes Roon such a flexible solution…

2 Likes

Multichannel from Roon is one thing (This is possible now via bridge/ubuntu)…

However multichannel support for all the XL functions is quite another.
I just don’t see how this would work, especially if you are using Roon for crossover duties.

I would like the following feature: I’m using an Allo USBridge (Raspberry Pi with ultra clean USB addon) and an Allo DigiOne HAT on top of the USBridge Pi. For me a big improvement of RoPieee would be a simultaneous audio output to both channels, USB and SPDif.

Actual I have to decide which output channel I want to use in HQPlayer preferences. A virtual output device e.g. “RoPieee” shown to HQPlayer as endpoint with simultaneous output to all audio output channels in the Pi system would help me to simply switch between USB and SPDif path in my DAC.

Are there plans to run Ropieee on Inovato Quadra, or is it even technically possible?

I have been on waitlist for months now for a Pi but there is still no sign of it ever being in stock, just looking for alternatives.

Hi,
I wished the possibility to implement an URL as Screensaver. I programmed a little tool for my Rotel-Receiver to show Source and Volume in large Letters on a Web-Page.
It would be a great Solution for me to show this on the Ropieee instead of the clock!!!

Tank you W. Ermgassen

2 Likes

Hi @spockfish

Any chance you can add bit depth and sample rate, to the Touchscreen Display ?

Maybe even if its at of the track title since that text is already large, can see it across the room, example: [24/88.2] at the end of track title

Also the current Screen Saver Timeout 10 minutes by default ? Or 10 seconds ? Im trying to work out if mine is functioning properly

Thanks !

10 minutes I believe, but you can change the value in the web gui,

I set mine to 1 min but you can of course now touch the screen to toggle it off or clock or playing info too if needed to see one quickly