RoPieee on an Allo USBridge

Yeah we need to wait until @allo.com comes with a more up to date kernel.

2 Likes

Hey Harry @spockfish

Have Allo told you it’s in their plans to update theKernel?

Or it’s only a ‘maybe’?

The latter.

1 Like

:cry:

Cheers Harry

Just following this as I like Ropieee and have just bought a USBridge. I’ll use Dietpi for now

Sorry, but this won’t happen. The kernel being used is (extremely) outdated, and I don’t see any progress in this being resolved by the manufacturer.

1 Like

having trouble to even get dietpi to work with it at the moment.

Ropieee on the Rpi is a far superior product, no comparison

About to go SSHing - for a product that cost me $190, not impressed.

So I worked it out, you have to go into the alsamixer and unmute the output. Does sound good once you get over the aggravation. Would be nice if they configured it properly first tho.

So I’ve got it setup. Turned off the Spotify option as it didn’t hand off back to Roon very well.

@allo.com. you should really look into other options rather than diet pi. I feel it suffers from too many options and that affects the stability. Just look at the job that @spockfish did in Ropieee, this shows it’s possible and it never breaks. I’m not sure how volumio works on the sparky, I’m seriously considering trying it.

If you could get the kennel updated and get something like Ropieee with just spotify, dlna and airplay be installed, it would make a much more plug and play experience.

No SBC or software is with out it’s issues, Ropieee included although Harry has done a sterling job and is the easiest to work with out of the box. I have both dietpi and Ropieee systems in my zones and had issues with both. Funny enough the USBridge the least. If you want a smooth ride I would avoid Volumio IMO found it awful but YMMV.

Well, I sold my USbridge cause of the trouble’s with it’s hardware and/or dietpi.
Now just using a Pi with Ropieee. Back to where I started. If Allo makes a new USbridge with a chip that can be supported with latetst kernel maybe, just maybe I will consider an USbridge again.

1 Like

I use dietpi quite a lot but not the allo gui version. I find it completely stable

I use USBridge and DietPi, with and without Allo web gui, for over eight months and no problems.
Very stable !

Perhaps I need to ditch the allo web gui version. I’ll read through the instructions and see how easy it is to install the standard diet pi.

It feel over again today when I got back home.

So I’ve worked out the issue, or at least, o think I have. When I power the amp off, the Alsa mixer loses connection with the DAC and then Roon can’t find it again. So I’m leaving it on for now.

Do you have an equal sound or a worse one now without USBridge?

I don’t hear any difference in sound. But that’s of course no guarantee you won’t.

Ok. Thank you for the info.

@spockfish
Will Ropieee compatible with us Bridge signature??
Thanks
Antonio

Read post 328

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-33.html

I would imagine the answer will be “Yes” :grinning: @spockfish

1 Like