Ropieee on Raspberry Pi 4B WiFi issues

I’ve never considered the cost differential until now. From my local supplier, 305m of Cat5e is £75. 305m of Cat6 is £110. In terms of performance, there’s little to pick between the 2 categories, but the Cat6 is more robust for hauling under floors, between walls and through conduit.

Mine are going through conduit, walls, attic and crawl space.

Ropiee does not like being on a different subnet. Roon will not see it.

The first thing you should do is try what you said you wouldn’t try and make a wifi access point that’s on the same subnet as your Roon server.

Pretty sure that will fix your problem.

1 Like

How does one end up with a WiFi network on a different subnet from the main network? Mine doesn’t do that unless I intentionally set up a different network on a separate VLAN.

Just that way, or simply having a wifi router connected to a wired router, most people do it inadvertently not knowing the consequences. I have four subnets in my home, one just for guests. The Apple TV device isn’t seen Roon for the same reason. It’s on a wifi connection that’s on a separate subnet.

Good point. [In my case, the path is: cable modem (non-wi-fi) → wi-fi router (mesh) → 24-port ethernet switch. Both wired and wi-fi devices are visible to each other.] But then, why does a wi-fi extender work for @Mark_Ebanks with RoPieee? Or the RPi OS directly to wi-fi?

@Johnny_Too_Bad Thanks, but you are a bit late on that one. @Andreas_Philipp1 pointed this out further up the thread. At the time I wasn’t interested in Roon connectivity I just wanted a stable RPi/Ropieee WiFi connection but I never got there. The solution I mentioned is still working fine and I plan to get off my lazy butt and run an ethernet cable from my main router to the bedroom where the Ropieee is deployed. I have a little 5 port switch and patch cables to hardwire all the devices with ethernet ports.

1 Like

Welcome to the slippery slope of cabled ethernet! I remember when a 5 port switch was all I needed. Then it was an 8, then a 16, then on to a managed 24. Then came a need for fibre and PoE - went to a 48 port (24 PoE) plus four SFP+ ports and then an additional 48 port PoE switch with 2 more SFP+ ports!

I don’t think of devices by name any more, I know them by their IP address, switch port and patch panel number! :rofl:

@Graeme_Finlayson. Wow! That is impressively insane. You must live in a mansion with several generations of family!

No, just a 3-bed semi-detached with an office in the garden!

House network in DIY housing shoe-horned into the kitchen cupboard underneath the stairs:

Office server cabinet with Synology Rackstation and expansion bay and desktop PC in a rack case:

The server case keeps everything tidy, reduces the noise and helps with cooling.

I’m divorced and live alone in a 2 beds apartment and have 46 clients in my home network. When my daughters and grandkids come to visit, I can easily reach 55 clients :slight_smile: Out of those 46 clients, 20 are wired and 26 wireless. Every AV equipment or Roon related equipment is hard wired.

1 Like

And well protected by tinned sardines!

1 Like

Hehe, those are the dog’s - he’s partial to a tin of sardines in olive oil once in a while!

1 Like