Ropieee or Rooplay

Hi.
I have ordered a pi 4 to be used as a Roon endpoint along with a topping headphone dac&amp. I understood that Ropieee was the way to go but then I run into the Rooextend topic that if I understood correctly, includes Rooplay with similar capabilities…

Can anyone shed some light on this? Pros and cons of each? I"m planning to use the USB out of the pi to feed the DAC…

Thanks!

If you only want a roon endpoint maybe not much difference but ropieee is what I use. For rooexted I use the dial options but all my endpoints (I have more than 10) I use ropieee and Harry’s support is excellent and I use the XL to have more streaming platforms supported like Spotify and airplay

2 Likes

I have a Pi4 feeding one of my headphone rigs.
I’ve been running Ropieee on it for about a year.
If I need more endpoints in the future a Pi running Ropieee will top of the considerations list. Pi is great value for money and Ropieee for me has been trouble free and very stable.
I have no experience of Rooextend / Rooplay.

1 Like

Topping and Ropieee are a good fit together. My setup into a D70 has been completely issue free.

2 Likes

Basic difference is in setup.

For rooplay it starts up with its own WiFi network that you then have to connect to to input your own WiFi settings unless you use Ethernet.

For ropieee you must connect via Ethernet for the setup but then can add WiFi once it’s installed.

1 Like

You could also install ubuntu and then Roon bridge.
Ropieee, or Bridge work perfectly fine.

1 Like