Ropieee volume issue

Hi @spockfish and everyone, I also have the volume-control problems reported in this thread.

RopieeeXL volume works normally in Roon (RAAT), standalone. But the volume in AirPlay is attentuated, to wherever RAAT left it. (I’m using RopieeeXL on an Allo Boss setup. I use RAAT for music/roon audio, and AirPlay for my TV audio.)

So if I try to use AirPlay after using Roon (RAAT), I can’t hear anything. I have to switch back to Roon and maximize the volume - then Airplay is fine, and has normal volume control.

However, when if I switch back to Roon, the volume is now cranked to maximum. I have to quickly restore it, before it blasts music at ear-splitting volumes.

I love Ropieee and RopieeeXL, but this is quite cumbersome, It requires awkward tinkering whenever switching between Airplay and RAAT. I’m happy to report more details about my system, or try any updates in the beta channel that might help.

thanks

This a known issue and will take time to resolve.

Ok, I’m glad you’re still looking at it. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Harry

Hello,

I am still experiencing the same issue mentioned in this Thread. Any solution on the horizon?

Thanks, Sunny

Hi,

Just to chime in here, I am trying out Roon and RoPieeeXL. Experiencing the same behaviour with Spotify and Airplay. Hardware is a rPi2 with generic USB sound dongle (DAC being ordered).

Adi

Hi,

That’s not comparable. The original issue was related to HAT’s that are capable of doing (hardware) volume control.

With an USB DAC that’s (mostly) not possible, the only solution here is to use software volume control.

Thanks

The behaviour I am seeing is the same. The Roon volume acts like a master and the Spotify and Airplay volumes adjust within zero and max of what Roon is set at.

Now that my DAC have arrived (IQaudio DAC+ and IQaudio DAC Pro), what would be the recommended settings in RoPieee XL to support AirPlay and Spotify volume control? Set it all to hardware across the board?

I am running this with powered speakers for now, no other audio components in the path.

Hi @Adi_Linden,

Sorry for the late response, I missed your post completely.

I’ve added support for hardware mixers on the IQaudio DAC’s last week in the beta channel.
And yes, for this setup hardware mixer is the best solution.

If you feel up to it you can try the beta channel, otherwise you need to wait for the next release where this will land.

Thanks

1 Like

How would I access the beta release?

If you go to the ‘advanced’ tab there’s a setting called ‘Update Channel’.
If you set that to beta and follow the instructions you’ll be upgraded to beta.

1 Like

Roon volume adjust volume. Airplay from iPhone and when I change volume on the phone, the volume slider in Roon goes along with it.

Tried Spotify but it disconnects the instance I try to change volume. I won’t be using Spotify but I tried it anyways, and thought I’d mention the result.

FORGET THIS. Found the cause to be bad connection between HAT and RPI. Everything is fine. Truly an excellent piece of software!

Hi @spockfish. I installed your excellent software today for the first time on a RPI3 with an AudioPhonics DAC 9028. Earlier today I tested Volumio on this device and there were no volume problems.

With RoPieee, the volume is almost unhearable when Roon DSP volume or Fixed volume is set to max. This is the only problem, the rest seems perfect thus far.

I have enabled the USB DAC as a paralell option with volume forced to 100 but no effect.

Feedback sent gave this id: e3208f6287c6cd69

Remedy?

Have you tried ‘device volume’?

See above, error not related to your software. Sorry for the interrupt. Error was/is that GPIO connectors are a little vulnerable.

1 Like

@spockfish, RoPieee is great. Perfect. One question: Is it compliant with the following DAC from Audiophonics, with regards to the functionality of the right display showing “now playing” etc? If not, would that be possible? See link to product, containing a note regarding right display and the need to install either a script or one of several images for the RPI4, one of which (if you follow the link) seems to be an alternative to RoPieee. Thanks for any response.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-raspdac/audiophonics-evo-sabre-pack-diy-balanced-dac-2xes9038q2m-streamer-for-raspberry-pi-4-p-14639.html

Hi,

It is not. I also don’t plan to do this. They provide (repackaged) images, which is not possible with RoPieee.

Thanks

Hi @spockfish

I’m back to using Ropieee XXL with an audioquest dragonfly USB DAC.

I have this problem, maybe there is some setting that solves this?

• when I’m playing to the Ropieee endpoint via Airplay, from Apple Music on my Macbook the volume control is very jumpy - I mean one press on the volume control on my mac is moving the volume by 5 units. However if I open Roon remote and select the same endpoint the volume can be controlled normally, from the Roon interface while the endpoint is still playing music via Airplay. I hope I’m making sense :slight_smile:
    Is there some way to solve this? I know there are some volume settings in Roopieee but I don’t understand what they do and I’d rather not play around with them.
    Thank you
1 Like

Hi DanMtsn, Could you please post a screenshot of your Shairplay settings?