Ropieee volume issue

Yes - with the mention that in Airplay I see 0 to 100, but in reality that is 0 to 52. The consequence is that when I set it at, say, 70 in airplay that is 70% of 52 which can be so low it’s inaudible ( a real life number would be somewhere around 25-30 instead of 52)

ok check. that last I already suspected, but I did not write it down :wink:

Thanks, we’re now on the same page to what is actually happening. Now a way to figure it out if we can fix this.

1 Like

@spockfish
Harry, I tried what you suggested - set both the external DAC and the Shairport at 100 in Roon, then changed them to fixed volume. I think this is what you said?

However, when using Airplay from Apple Music I get the same behavior of very limited volume control range.
Just wanted to make sure you have all the information possible

Ok thanks.

I might have an idea how to solve this.

1 Like

Hi @DanMtsn,

I’ve read the documentation carefully and ran into some issues mentioned by other people on the Shairport-Sync page, but I think I know how to solve this:

Right now there’s an option stating ‘Volume Control’, which is obviously set to ‘enabled’ in your case as that’s what you want: volume control.

However, what this option means is that Shairport-Sync uses it’s own software volume control and bypasses the hardware mixer in ALSA. And that’s what’s causing the issue as this means it just takes the current hardware mixer level as 100% and starts calculating from that.

Disabling this feature results in Shairport-Sync using the hardware mixer and that’s what we want.

Can you verify this please?

Thanks

Hi @spockfish
I made the change as indicated.
Now when I play something from Apple Music to the Airplay target on Ropieee XXL the volume slider in Apple Music does nothing. I can move it but volume won’t change. If I open the Roon remote app on the iPhone and switch to the same zone I can now control the volume, from Roon. So playback in Apple Music but volume control in Roon. In this case volume control is proper - it has full range, etc. But not a convenient solution and I don’t think this is the intended behavior, is it?

Ok thanks for trying out. I’ll try to come with an update tomorrow in the beta channel, would be great if you can check that one out.

Thanks

Sure, happy to try once you let me know it’s available

Hi @DanMtsn,

I’ve made some changes to the Shairport (Airplay) config wrt volume control.

To test that you need to first switch to the beta channel: go the ‘advanced’ tab of RoPieee’s webpage and set the update channel to ‘beta’. Save, Configure and Reboot.

Now you need to setup your shairport config, and this time you do need to enable volume control again. What has changed that if you choose volume control Shairport will use the hardware mixer.

This should (at least theoratically :wink: ) fixes your issues.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

@spockfish
Harry, I did all that but I get the same behaviour - no effect on volume from the volume slider in Apple Music. Volume can only be changed from Roon even when playback is from Apple Music via AirPlay.

Ok. I’m about to give up on this (I don’t have any Apple hardware), but I’ve pushed out another update with a possible solution.

Thanks

@spockfish
Tried the new update - sorry, same behavior

I have the same kind of issue. I use Airplay to stream some songs I don’t have within the roon environment. I use a hifiberry amp2 that includes an amp as well as a DAC.

My workaround is that I use fixed volume on Ropieee and adjust the volume within Apple music over the roon volume. Not perfect, but the benefit is that you do have more or less the same volume when switching from one to the other.

Probably not the best “wife acceptance factor”, but at least a workaround :wink:

@Matthias_Canisius
Thanks for the suggestion.
Since you have the hifiberry amp - have you tried the hifiberry OS? It has Airplay support as well as Spotify, DLNA, etc.
I am considering it, but the hifiberry HAT I ordered is still on the way.

@spockfish
Harry - I went back to stable and now I have the same behavior as in Beta: no volume control AT ALL in Apple Music.

That’s because if you switch back the software is not being installed again.

So should I re-flash, or is there another solution?

I’m not sure exactly what do you want to achieve: the stable version wasn’t working for you either right? So what’s exactly the difference in behaviour?

Initially I had two problems with volume control in Airplay:

1. maximum volume was quite low and
  2. range of control was limited: a small move of volume slider created huge change in volume.

Then you made some changes and asked me to switch to beta, where the above problem was not solved, but instead I had zero control over volume using Airplay (move of volume slider does nothing)
Now I moved back to stable to at least have some limited control like in the initial state but the situation is still like in beta - no control at all over volume - moving slider does nothing.

Regarding what I want to achieve I simply want proper volume control when using Airplay.

No. I didn’t, but I’ll give it a try later… I didn’t know that Hifiberry OS finally supports roon as well.

Thanks for the hint!

Nevertheless, I’d prefer Ropieee as it also support the Allo DigiOne Signature which I want to use in my more high-end Stereo Setup.