Ropieee with Pi4 not seen by Roon - Ropieee broken?

Thanks. It gave me this identifier:

af2d8fafe5181e25

The unit is not capable of downloading RoonBridge. Now, it tries to correct that during the next boot, so can you please power down/power up the unit once more to see if there was some kinda glitch and it is capable of downloading it right now?

Furthermore I also see that NTP is blocked. Time sync is also necessary for downloading stuff. RoPieee has a fallback (by using time synchronization over HTTPS), but this could have caused it during the installation.

Thanks

Ok. I shut down the device through the web interface and power cycled it after the blinking light ceased. I connected it to a known good ethernet and powered on again. Dac still connected. It initialized in about 35 minutes and I still donā€™t see it in roon. Would you like me to submit another feedback?

Yes please.

b5500ea60220fbe0

Not sure whatā€™s going on, but downloading RoonBridge fails again.
Iā€™ve tried the download link from Roon HQ and that is operational.

Do you have a strict firewall or something like that?

Not to my knowledge. My network hardware and software are all fairly normal. I can do something weird and try to download it through my phone hotspot. How large is the download?

unless you have some way to hotspot your network/ethernet connection via your phone that seems like an awkward thing to get working.

maybe at a friends house with different ISP?

The download from Roon HQ is fairly small.
Are you familiar with SSH?

A little bit. Iā€™ve used it to access a pi zero to configure/setup a pihole ad blocker. I already put the ssh file in the root of the sd card install like I had to with the pi zero, (if thatā€™s still how it works?).

No thatā€™s not how it works. Itā€™s not downloading alone.

Are you sure that your Pihole does not block the download?

Oh, I forgot to add Iā€™m not currently using the pihole. XD

Can you login with SSH (username: root, password: ropieee) and run the following:

wget -t 2 -T 30 -O /tmp/roonbridge.sh http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

(this is one line)

And can you paste me the result of this command over here?

Thanks

Last night, I let the device initialize through the wifi connection hotspot of my phone but that did not seem to work. Today I powered it on with wired ethernet to begin the ssh instructions you provided, and itā€™s working and visible in roon!

I submitted another feedback just in case it can shed light on the funny behavior: a14ae8adba8281b7

Iā€™ll start using it and let you know if anything comes up. Thank you!

Is there anything you would like me to try with it?

Edit: update. I played some music. Works great! Then I switched from wired to wireless and it seems to give up during initialization (solid red led, no blinking). Switched back to wired, and it sill ā€œgives upā€ a few minutes into initialization. My router (Netgear R6220) will see the wired ropieee (strangely as two separate devices, with two different ip addresses) during the initialization, but I can no longer access the webpage. :frowning:

Iā€™m going to swap the SD card and try a reinstall.

Reinstalled. Back where I started. :frowning: Iā€™ll see if I can get the SSH running.

Ok I got SSH running. Hereā€™s the result of that command:

[root@ropieee ~]# wget -t 2 -T 30 -O /tmp/roonbridge.sh http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
ā€“2021-01-13 19:33:07-- http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
Resolving download.roonlabs.com (download.roonlabs.com)ā€¦ failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address ā€˜download.roonlabs.comā€™

Hi Ted. I setup a 2nd Ropieee today. My first has been rock solid but this one worked then disappeared.

Go into Settings / Aboutā€¦ do you see your endpoint there? I noticed mine was there but not a valid endpoint and it turned out that the Ropieee wasnā€™t seeing the USB DAC. Turning the DAC on and off fixed it. May or may not be your issue but if it doesnā€™t see a valid audio output device, it wonā€™t show up as an endpoint but does show up under settings/about.

Looks like your DNS setup is borked. If your Ropieee network tab specifies DHCP for wired (I donā€™t use wireless so I donā€™t know what happens in that case), Ropieee should be getting its DNS server info from your router. If I ssh into my Ropieee system, hereā€™s what I see:

[root@Pi2AES ~]# nslookup
> download.roonlabs.com
Server: 192.168.2.1
Address: 192.168.2.1#53
Non-authoritative answer:
download.roonlabs.com canonical name = download.roonlabs.net.
download.roonlabs.net canonical name = community.roonlabs.net.
Name: community.roonlabs.net
Address: 45.55.80.97

You told us that you have a Pihole which is now inactive. I suspect your router may give out this Piholeā€™s local network address as DNS and, as it is inactive, names can not be resolved.

What do you see when invoking dig download.roonlabs.com ?

Iā€™m an old-timer in Unix/Linux land, so I used nslookup. Hereā€™s dig output

[root@Pi2AES ~]# dig download.roonlabs.com
; <<>> DiG 9.16.9 <<>> download.roonlabs.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 19579
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;download.roonlabs.com. IN A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
download.roonlabs.com. 300 IN CNAME download.roonlabs.net.
download.roonlabs.net. 300 IN CNAME community.roonlabs.net.
community.roonlabs.net. 300 IN A 45.55.80.97
;; Query time: 209 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.2.1#53(192.168.2.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 13 20:05:34 PST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 125

After I disconnected the pihole, I set the routerā€™s DNS to cloudflare so the router no longer looks for pihole.

dig:

; <<>> DiG 9.16.9 <<>> download.roonlabs.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5509
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;download.roonlabs.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
download.roonlabs.com. 299 IN CNAME download.roonlabs.net.
download.roonlabs.net. 299 IN CNAME community.roonlabs.net.
community.roonlabs.net. 299 IN A 45.55.80.97

;; Query time: 89 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.0.1#53(10.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 13 20:23:19 PST 2021
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 125