RoPieeeXL Airport Volume Control

Some progress, but not quite there.

Ropieee now shows in Spotify, but still no sound when set to use either Hardware or Software.

I did notice however that, if I set volume to maximum then I do get sound. So I can either have no sound or full volume. Just need something in-between now :slight_smile:

Feedback 563834114ded8790 for current config.

But when it is on hardware volume, canā€™t you control it from the Spotify interface?

I have been using the Spotify interface to set the volume.
It is set at 25 initially matching the RopieeeXL config, but there is no sound at all at any volume level until set at maximum in the Spotify interface.

Thanks much appreciated

So thereā€™s no increase in volume, just no sound and then at max sound?

Yes, thatā€™s exactly it

Good morning Harry,

I have flashed the SD with ropieeexl and and switched it to the Beta version. When I do that and commit the changes it updates and restarts, and I can browse to it and see that it is Beta version 2.596. At that point I can select HAT for my audio output, but the hardware option for volume control is still disabled (I donā€™t know that enabling that is the goal, but that is the case), and I airplay level is still dependent on the Roon output volume setting.

I also see that there is a blue banner saying that there is an update for your device. When I try to apply that, after it has returned to the slowly blinking green light, I can no longer browse to the device, although nmap sees it on the network. Do I need the update or should something have changed with just the beta version of ropieeexl? Or am I very possibly doing something else wrong?

Thank you again for your help!

Carl

Hi,

Iā€™ve pushed an update to the beta channel.
There have been quite a few changes surrounding hardware mixer control in the Spotify client, so letā€™s try this out.

Thanks

Hmmm thatā€™s strange, because you need the update on the beta channel to get this working.

When you apply the update (first it installs then it mentions that you need to reboot & install it), you will see another screen (the unit is being updatedā€¦) etc. Did you see that information?

Yes. First I see:

Update is being downloadedā€¦ Do not turn the device off!

Then:

The update has been downloaded. Reboot to apply it.

Update in progressā€¦ Donā€™t interrupt!
When the update has been applied the device will reboot once again.

Then I eventually (5-10 min) see the slowly blinking green light, but when I try to browse to ropieeexl.local I see:

This site canā€™t be reached
ropieeexl.locals server IP address could not be found.

And this time around I am unable to find it using nmap (Iā€™m no expert so that could be me).
I did not change the network cabling throughout three completions of this process; it worked priot to updating and not afterwards.

The web page should reload by itself. It can take serious time.

Itā€™s been seven hours. Shall I continue to wait?

yes, keep waiting. :smiley:

no-worries-ill-keep-waiting

Many thanks @spockfish - the last set of changes now have Spotify Connect working correctly with the Hifiberry DAC+/AMP2.
Thanks for persevering with this - much appreciated!

1 Like

So what do you see? Because indeed 7 hours is too long :slight_smile:

Is is still stating that ā€œan update is being installedā€?

Finally had a chance to test this. Works great. Thank you

1 Like

It is still saying that an update is being install. All of the css formatting is gone. Raw HTML. Very 90ā€™s. :nerd_face:

What happens if you hit F5?

If I hit F5 I get:

This site canā€™t be reached.

I tried running through the process with another RPi without any extra hardware - no hat. That one worked all the way through the update and I could set the volume controle for Shairplay to hardware. I mainly wanted to verify that my home network wasnā€™t screwing things up. I am now trying another RPi that has the same hat as the original to see if the device is the issue.

The original RPi is ready to try something else though.

Harry, I tried running through the process with a different RPi and Justboom Hat device and it worked!

The Roon output works as expected, the Roon Shairplay output now has volume control independent of the Roon output, and Pandora through an iphone or ipod Airplay also works correctly. Exactly what I was looking for.

Now Iā€™m going to look at the particular RPi and Hat combination that is not working and see if I can figure that out. If you have any suggestions I would welcome them, but for your part, mission accomplished and thanks again for your help and contribution.

Carl