RopieeeXl and added benefit of using it with Oppo HA2

I had been using RopieeXL for some time successfully on a Raspberry Pi 2 connected to my Oppo 205 in my home theater so I decided to add a couple of Raspberry Pi 4s to my setup. The first was to replace the RP2 running RopieeeXL with a RP4 and configure the RP2 for other duties (Pi-Hole). The second RP4 would be in my 2 channel listening room where I had been using an old iMac (2008) running Windows 10 to get the most out of communicating to the HA-2, which I had long stopped using it as a portable player. But even running Roon on this machine has an interesting limitation…Windows 10 and Oppo’s ASIO drive would support DSD output to the HA-2, but not in native mode. The HA-2 was a little weird in that for PCM it tops out at 384 kHz but can go all the way up to DSD256 if you address it natively and not with DoP.

But Roon could never seem to understand that this was a possible configuration. The only software I’d ever seen that could do native to the HA-2 was JRiver on Windows, which I was demoing at one time years ago. But to my surprise, RopieeeXL on the Pi using ALSA understood that native was available and DSD256 works now. It also works properly at DSD256 with HQPlayer which makes me think that the limitation was somehow with Oppo’s own ASIO driver (which is strange). But ALSA doesn’t have the same issue. Weird.