RoPieeeXL-NG: another beta round

LibreSpot working just fine, put on a separate playlist on each of two devices and left for four hours. Put on a playlist and then synced both NGXL zones and left for an hour. All good so far.

One question @spockfish - there’s really no reason for a user not to run XL assuming your device has sufficient resources, right? It’s not like you’re taxing the Pi because you have LibreSpot on it if you never activate it?

Ropieee is so lightweight it has always felt to me that you could collapse the branches and just have XL (only not call it that because there wouldn’t be anything else), and a bunch of people would just never use anything but the RoonBridge capabilities. But maybe I’m missing some devices or use cases that you’d be unnecessarily leaving behind. Or maybe it offends the audiophile / tech credo to have any unnecessary code in the digital pathway. Just thought I’d ask.

I’ve pushed out another update.

One thing only: return to the 5.10 kernel for now. This should resolve your issue @Nickpi

One other funny thing… My Unifi threat detection is blocking something it’s trying to do. I have it set very high, let me know if you want details on what it thinks is going on; all is working as expected however.

Technically you’re right, especially with the NG stuff. But the reason why I made this choice is because the biggest group of RoPieee users is non-technical, Roon-only. And I feel strongly about keeping the initial RoPieee principles alive: an appliance that is as simple as possible. If you want to ‘tinker’ around there are other (and better) solutions out there.

But (and I have already been thinking about this but eventually decided to not do that for now) I can imagine that in a certain future there’s only one version of RoPieee, that completely hides XL functionality, unless you flip a switch on the advanced tab.

So who knows :wink:

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, it did.

• Audio works with Roon, Squeezelite and Airplay.
  • UPnP gives an error with BubbleUpnp, Action Failed (Code 501), ditto with Mconnect. With Openhome Code 404.
  • Librespot not tested

ef80cba094fcb828

Librespot now working, thanks!

Does anyone know where to find the Librespot or Ropieee config file so that I can change the hostname format used by Librespot?
I was able to do this previously, eg. setting to appear in Spotify as “Kitchen” rather than “Kitchen [RoPieeeXL]”

If I just leave my existing XL install untouched while I wait for XL-NG, will I get updates as Roon build numbers go up? Or is the XL channel basically going to remain unchanged until NG is finished?

There is no upgrade scenario from current XL to ‘NG’ XL: when it is released you need to reflash.

There won’t be another ‘regular XL’ release: all dev effort is focused on ‘NG’ XL.

Thanks

Hi
Not sure if this is a bug, or designed behaviour, but on my RopieeXL-NG endpoint, which is an Allo USBridge Sig with the Digione Sig HAT, UPnP.DLNA, Shairport Sync and Librespot all offer the choice of None or Software for volume control, but Squeezelite only offers Software.

Good catch, but that’s not a bug. Squeezelite knows conceptually not a ‘no volume control’ option.

But you could argue that we need to provide the setting anyhow to not confuse users…

XL-NG on MiniStreamer/Stack/Streambox.

I’m using a Lakewest MiniStreamer, the predecessor to the Pro-Ject and Stack devices. Is XL-NG suitable for these units?

I’m not sure (I don’t have this device), but it works on the Stack Link.
So I suggest you try it out :wink:

Just pushed out another update with 2 things:

• fix UPnP
  • (re)introduce HQP NAA

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Harry ,
as promised I’m on board … but …
I started from 0059, I waited a while and it updated to 0068 but NAA is not there … what to do now?
(On rpi4)

… just discovered in HQPe log that NAA is active (4.2.0) and it works too …
Is NAA then always active without any need to configure it?

Two observations:

• I have two rpi4 one on this beta while the other is still on 4.017, in the devices tab of the beta one I cannot see the 4.017 one while in the other I can see the one on beta
  • ssh is always active

NAA is working fine …

That’s correct. The ‘NG’ version is not downwards compatible. And while the ‘NG’ version can handle that (it does not show the old version), the old version can not.

During beta testing it is. When this version goes to production this will be disabled.

Thanks

PS: you have your tab now as well?

No, the NAA tab is still missing

huh? that’s not good. Can you send me feedback?

Here it is a4ca711189c67402

1 Like