RopieeeXL + RPi 4 not recognizing USB Schiit Bifrost 2

Hi all,

I got a Schiit Bifrost 2 today and connected it to my RPi4 via USB running RopieeeXL. I enabled USB Audio in the RopieeeXL configuration panel and have restarted both devices several times. I don’t see the Bifrost USB Dac showing in Roon anywhere and I’m not getting any sound output. I do also have a RPi Hat (HifiBerry XLR DAC) which I’ve been using for a year, but can’t get the Bifrost to work. Thoughts?

  1. The device itself certainly works – my macbook recognizes it directly and outputs sound through it
  2. Have trialed a few different USB cables without any luck

Here’s what my devices page looks like:

Thanks in advance!

HI,

Can you send me feedback? You can find that option on the ‘advanced’ tab.

Thanks

I sure can:

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier f3501b3b843e5ccf

Thanks!

Hi @Alexander_Lawson ,

There’s a problem with your wifi setup: your SSID contains spaces.
While this is fixed in an earlier version, there are some ‘crumbles’ left that cause problems.

I think (I do not know for 100%) that this causes problems while configuring your DAC.

My advice: reflash from the start and try again.

Do I need to get rid of the spaces in my SSID, or just re-setup with a fresh flash?

I really appreciate your help – I would have never thought about an SSID…

No I suggest a reflash, but make sure you download the latest RoPieee image.

Working on that now – will report back!

I would have never in a million years thought it was my SSID – I may have tried a reflash eventually :wink:

Thanks so much for your help.

1 Like

Hmm – well since reflashing and getting it going again it’s cutting in and out every minute or two – the whole RPi/Ropieee with the Bifrost and HifiBerry will just disappear out of Roon then pop back in without me doing anything about 30 seconds later.

I don’t know if this is my WiFi? Nothing else has changed (it was on WiFi previously)

I had this problem a couple months ago and it seemed to just self-resolve and now appears to be back right after the reflash

Logs have been sent to RoPieee HQ with unique identifier 518721645c4fe38b

Could be wifi. Can you verify with cable?

Unfortunately not – my audio setup is no where near my router. Might have to try a bridge or something.

Logs show that

a) your DAC is fine
b) you indeed suffer from dropouts over the network.

Could you try the beta? It’s planned for this weekend, but the beta has an update for the wifi firmware that might fix your issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking at the logs. Id be happy to try the beta — this has been an on and off issue for me for a while — I’ll have a month where it never happens then others when it just won’t stay connected.

For the beta go to the ‘advanced’ tab, ‘update channel’ and select ‘beta’.

Unit will do it’s configure step, reboots and after the reboot will come up with an update notification. Install that update (the actual latest beta) and see if things are improving.

Thanks

Great, it’s up and running now. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for all of your help and for the great software you’ve created and distributed free. I sent a small donation your way so you can have dinner on me. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi again, wanted to check in and say that since the beta update everything has been rock solid and I haven’t had a single issue with the DAC or the wifi dropping out.

1 Like