RopieeeXL with PS Audio DSD DAC

Hello. I just installed RoPieeeXL 2022.11.2 (0664) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5. The RPi is connected from the USB (blue) to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC USB port.

However, Roon does not see ropieeexl as a Roon Ready device.

But, if I configure the Airplay on ropieeexl, it correctly shows up on Roon under Other network device.

I have Audio USB and Force Volume switched on under the General tab of of the roopieeexl web server page.

Has anyone got ropieeexl working with PS Audio DirectStream DAC? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your suggestions, guidance, and tips.

Unique identifier copied from the ropieeexl feedback page: 01f0eea3099c4bba

Additional info: (1) I can see the ropieeexl RPi under Roon Bridge on the About tab of Roon. But I canā€™t see it on the Roon Audio tab. (2) Both the Roon Core and the RPi running ropieeexl are on the same network.

Maybe trivial, but the DAC needs to be switched on and USB input selected, otherwise Roon canā€˜t see it as an Audio device.

Also a remote possibility: The DSD maybe needs an empty SD Card, FAT formatted seated in the SD Card socket for the USB input to work.

Hope that helps!

Thereā€™s an error being reported about the DAC USB connection. Hence no DAC and a no-show in Roon.

Can you try a different cable?

@Roland_von_Unruh - thank you for your suggestions. The unit was set to USB and a SD card was inserted. But these were not the issues as I explain below.

@spockfish - thank you for tracking down the issue to the USB cable. Interestingly, I have been using the ā€œupmarketā€ yellow Curious USB cable. It worked fine with a MacBook Pro running Roon Core. But apparently not so with a RPi running ropieeeXL, for some reason. The Curious cable was replaced with a nondescript USB 2 cable and it all lit up.

Thank you both for coming to my aid and helping me resolve this issue.

1 Like

Some of these ā€œboutiqueā€ USB cables do not have the 5v wired up inside them.
Some DACs donā€™t careā€¦and some do.
Been there and done that dance myself.
Good luck, sounds like you are good to go now though.