Rotel RA1592MKII Volume Control

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini late 2012 / SSD / 4GB ram / 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5. Roon Server 1.8 build 831
Ethernet.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

PC USB direct connection to the Rotel

Connected Audio Devices

Rotel RA1592MKII via direct USB (using USB 2.0)

Description of Issue

I have set the Rotel RA1992MkII to ‘Device Volume’ - and usually (on my NAD C658) - I am presented with a volume control…
On the Rotel I don’t see one… am I doing something wrong.??
I have seen in the Support topics someone has written a Rotel Extension…
Could someone tell me definitely whether Roon can control the volume of the Rotel?
Thanks in advance
David

Hey there @Katherine_Dennis

It’s good to see you again, we apologize that your visit was caused by difficulties you’re having your volume control on your Rotel. We’d be happy to help with this.

• Was the Rotel exhibiting normal device volume behavior for you previously or is it new to your Roon ecosystem?

• You mention that the device is connected via USB to your PC. Have you installed the necessary Windows driver for the device and can you confirm that the Rotel is up to date on firmware?

• Have you attempted to reboot your Roon Core to see if that resolves the problem?

We appreciate your help in troubleshooting this issue, we’ll keep an eye out for your response and get back in touch as soon as we can. Thanks!

Sorry Jamie for late reply!
Rotel is a completely new product. Certified Roon Tested.
It is direct USB connected to a Mac mini - Mac mini late 2012 / SSD / 4GB ram / 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5. Roon Server 1.8 build 831

The Rotel input is called “PC USB”. It has been changed to USB 2.0 standard.
It works perfectly, and displays the resolution of files on the Rotel’s screen - eg 24 / 96

However - Volume can only be changed via the actual volume control on the Rotel - not Roon.

My question is - is this normal?
Does Roon need to be changed to be able to control the volume on the Rotel?

Thanks in advance.

I have an earlier but similar Rotel RA1572 and I don’t think it’s volume is controllable via USB, so Roon wouldn’t be able to control it. The USB input is just another digital audio input.

Thank you David - that’s what I thought…
Thanks for the reply…

The Rotel replaces another DAC - a Topping D50s - which can be controlled volume wise - no doubt someone will tell us why the Rotel is different…
Or someone will write a Rotel Volume App?
Anyone Anyone ???

Hi @Katherine_Dennis ,
The Rotel Volume App is already been written by Boris Schaedler.
Just do a search in this forum on Rotel, and you will find his page: “Roon Extension: Rotel Volume/Source Control” (Roon Extension: Rotel Volume/Source Control).
I have installed it on a Raspberry Pi and it is working perfectly for my Rotel RC-1590.
Kind regards, Frank.

1 Like

Hi @Katherine_Dennis,

Please let us know if @Frank_M’s suggestion provides a solution for your specific case. We’ll keep this thread open just in case and monitor for your reply. Thank you!

Thanks Frank,

I got spooked by a report that the volume went full and blew a persons speakers… (it’s in the chain on that extension) - so I bought a Topping DAC instead - and am going back to something that Roon can natively control…

David

Hi David,
I also have seen that notice, but it was about a not-supported Rotel (ROTEL RSP-1582) which was not made to react on those commands.
You can always do the test and disconnect temporarily the PowerAmps, so that you can see first if the volume is going to do strange things, before you connect your precious loudspeakers.
In any case, I would suppose that the internal DAC of the Rotel is of a higher quality than the Topping DAC.
I can only say that I am very pleased with the way this is working on my Rotel RC-1590!
Kind regards, Frank.

Hi David,
I see now that you have a RA-1592 Mk II. In that case it is even handier: just push of the Speakers A and B on the amp, so that the loudspeakers are not connected during your test.
Have an nice day, Frank.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.