RPi 3B+ off switch

Hi folks,

I need to setup another cheap zone in my house, so looking to get a RPi paired up with an IQAudio Digiamp+ and my QAcoustic 3020 speakers. Just before I click “buy” on all the components, what do people generally do for an off switch if running headless? I saw a good article on hear about someone that made a good RPi + Digiamp+ setup, but have just spent about an hour searching for it without luck!

I never turn mine off. It’s such a low voltage that I can’t see how leaving it on all the time really matters. YMMV

I just unplug it to turn it off… I suppose you could install a switch in the cord…not really needed though.

There should be a way to fit a switch like any regular computer board. The machine should then shut down gracefully. Does anyone know specifically if this is not the case?

Never ever turn my pi’s off. You can trigger it by the gpio as some until as.as the RaspTouch from Audiophonics has a power button.

Have definitely seen a diy article about that. Not sure how much work was involved.

I use these https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SEVRBP0091/Black-USB-20-Cable-with-Power-Switch-Micro-USB-Typ

When connected to an IQAudio DigiAmp+ the Pi gets its power from the HAT (which is fed via a 19 volt DV power supply, as it also has a speaker amp) so the inline USB option wouldn’t work I don’t think. I’m happy just switch it off at the wall when required, but believe that often leads to corruption of the MicroSD card?

I have never had a card corrupted from switching a Pi off at the wall (or via an in-line switch) so whilst it is possible I don’t know about “often”.

1 Like

Cool, thanks Tony, non-problem sorted!

I have at least 5 or more RPi around the house and never off them at least 2 are using the 19 DigiAMP+ hats

1 Like