Running Roon Core/Server on openelec

I saw some posts about roon on linux and one that mentioned openelec but couldn’t find much details there so I thought I would just start a dedicated topic…

Is it currently possible (and supported) to install Roon Core/Server (not sure it’s the same thing, sorry) on Linux and more specifically, on OpenElec? I have a mac mini in the closet with a NAS begging for Roon! It’d be a much better setup than what I have now which is my library and Roon running off of my iMac.

Any pointers to how to do this?

Thanks!
Alex.

Hi Alexandre,

RoonServer is a Roon Core and Output. You can see the architecture of the different roles and programs here.

You will find RoonServer for Linux here.

I’d suggest using the Easy Install script first and see if it works for OpenELEC. The main issue would be adding required dependencies that might not be installed. I couldn’t see if OpenELEC used any particular distro to update or add packages.

From their website:

Unlike other Kodi solutions, OpenELEC is not based on Ubuntu. In fact, it’s not based on any Linux distribution; OpenELEC has been built from scratch specifically to act as a media center. That means it doesn’t include drivers for things that just won’t be used like 3G cards and graphics tablets, for example.

I’ll try it out and see how that goes, should be interesting. :wink:

OK, that attempt was very short lived. :wink: OpenElec is pretty tight on what customizations it allows: roughly nothing. Unless it’s a proper kodi add-on, it’s not going to happen. I wonder if I should look into a proper Ubuntu distro or something like that but I’m not really excited about supporting and maintaining a linux server at home.

If you don’t want to support a Linux system you could purchase a small appliance (like the sonicTransporter) custom build for Roon with Roon Core pre-installed.

In the end I bit the bullet and started an install of Kodibuntu on the mac mini (technically on a USB key) and installed Roon on it as well without too much trouble. I have however not tried it yet, I’ll test it out tonight when the baby’s asleep. :slight_smile:

I’ve got it working on LibreElec on a Minix X8-H, it is a Roon endpoint now with remarkably good sound quality.

I followed this tutorial, plus the renaming in the comments thereunder.

https://medium.com/@malindrap/turning-an-android-box-corelec-into-a-roon-endpoint-d8c074e4c21a

Just one issue: all resolutions work, from 16/44.1 up to 24/192 except 24/176.4. When playing 176.4 or PCM converted DSD my Chord Dave locks to 44.1 and plays everything sssssllllloooowwww… what could cause this and how can I fix that?