Running Roon on QNAP SSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-473

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS RT-AX88U using both Ethernet and Wifi and HDMI to Denon AVR X4300H

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
HDMI

TEXT GOES HERE

Delighted to be learning about Roon, especially with availability of Tidal/Qobuz. Initially I set up using 8TB spinning disks for Roon database, then read that it would be better with dedicated SSD. So installed Samsung 2TB SSD and reinstalled Roon…probably no need for such a big disk with hindsight! Since installation, the Roon service has become VERY unstable. Lost connections, Roon stopping without reason etc.

Any help would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Austar

Thanks James; yes the QNAP NAS (containing the Roon core on the SSD) is Ethernet connected to the ASUS router…I’m wondering whether there is anything left over from the original Roon core On the 8TB spinning disks that might be messing things up…

Hi @Austar,

Can you elaborate a bit on the issues you’re seeing? Is playback stopping for all endpoints, for both local content and streaming? Are remotes disconnecting and playback stopping at the same time or are these two separate occurrences?

Hi Dylan,
Thanks for such a prompt reply. I’ve now narrowed the problem down - I hope! As I mentioned, I’m running Roon on a QNAP TS-473 NAS with 8GB of memory and 2 x 8TB spinning disks and a single Samsung 2TB SSD. The Roon database is installed on the SSD. My Outlook Folder is stored on the NAS which I also use for running Plex for locally stored movies. Whenever I run Roon, my Outlook file is unavailable and Plex will not start. If I’m running a movie from Plex, Roon won’t start. It looks like Roon is grabbing ALL the resources of the NAS - is this how it should work?
Again, my thanks for your help on this…
Cheers, Steve

Hi @Austar,

What is the resource usage for Roon like? How much RAM / CPU is it using?

Hi @dylan,
The problem was not with Roon at all! In fact, Roon resource usage was very small. It was the outlook.pst file that was located in a Dropbox folder (on the NAS) which was messing things up. Now corrected - all good. Thanks for your help…

Thanks for the update, @Austar! I’m glad you were able to get things working here. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.