Running Roon server on Windows 10, a few user questions

What about security of audio files and backups if anyone can access them? and potentially erase or corrupt by mistake (kid or a guest)?

Here’s what I did… I set Windows to auto-login to my account on boot and I have RoonServer autostart. I also set my Screen Saver to wait a couple minutes and have the checkbox checked for “On resume, display logon screen”.

With this, my PC can autoreboot, start Roon and then the screen saver kicks in to force the next user to login. Perhaps not ideal but it seems to work to avoid the potential misuse of the PC when left unattended yet allows Roon to run.

Thanks for reply Michael, had this same setup but was wondering if there is more save way.

What about access to music folders and backups from any PC running Roon Remote? As far I have discovered all can be modified from anyone who has access to Roon server. Is there any solution to hide those files or limit access to them?

Hmm, you raise an important point I hadn’t considered but should… Roon has a ‘Delete Album’ function buried in the Album Editor/Album Options choices. Yes, it does make it clear that it will permanently remove the album from your hard disk, but that is of little comfort when I allow friends and kids to use Roon Remote. I never want local music files to be modified or deleted via the Roon Remote interface. I suppose I could mark all music files as Read Only and let Windows security block the delete. Not sure what other headaches that might create.

@Support - thoughts on this?

Michael, I thing “read only” will not preserve from random delete, including backup files which are accessible as well (up to my short experience with Roon).

By ‘random delete’ do you mean through Windows? If someone can mess with my files through Windows or on my home network, well bad on me for not better securing them. I don’t let friends and family have Windows access to those files, I don’t share them locally on my LAN and I backup into the cloud with versioning. I’m comfortable that it’s good enough to protect against inadvertent actions and kids.

But, what I hadn’t considered (also bad on me) is that my family and friends (and grandkids - doh!) often use Roon via laptop, tablet or phone which means ‘Delete Album’ or ‘Delete Track’ is only a few clicks away. I don’t believe they would ever intentionally do so but…

I did just test using ‘Read Only’ on my music files. It does result in ‘Access Denied’ within Roon when I hit ‘Delete Album’ and that’s probably good enough. To be honest, I’m curious as to the purpose of Roon’s ‘Delete Album’. Yes, it does delete the music files, but leaves other files (e.g. images) and the directory itself intact. Hardly a good way to manage your music files. Why not just have a ‘Remove Album’ and ‘Remove Track’ without actually touching the files themselves?

Sorry, I seem to have accidentally flagged your response and can’t figure out how to turn it off! :worried::sunglasses:

Hi @mdconnelly,

It is not possible to disable the delete option. If this is something you’d like to see I definitely recommend creating a #roon:feature-requests!

One thing to note is that deleting is not possible on mobile remotes.

Hello Dylan, Thanks for stepping in to discussion. Will you be so kind and provide answers to other raised questions on the start of this topic?
Also I think is will be nice and professional if you, as manager, create ticket for Roon IT on the matter, I think security is extremely important even if not requested by end customers.

Thanks @Dylan. I see that the delete functions are not there on my phone but they do seem to be there on my iPad Pro (which is what I’ve been letting my grandkids use when they’re here). But, marking the music files Read Only solved that for now. @Dylan - will that work equally well on Rock on a NUC (something I hope to soon be moving to)?

@Artur_Bogdanowicz - Roon is very responsive to customers so such a request from you or me in the Feature Request category would likely be far better received and get more attention. Note that my primary interest is to remove the delete functions from within Roon. You questions about security may be a lot broader.

Here’s a feature request I just posted…

If you have your files on a NAS you can set the NAS’ file structure to be read only. If you have the files on an external USB, you can set the files to be read only on a different computer. However, you have no control over internal storage on a ROCK PC.

I’d likely hang a USB drive off the NUC. As long as I can remotely access the drive and set the files Read Only then I can live with that. Thanks for the quick response.

I’m actually testing that out. So give me a day before. I know I can set the file properties on another machine. Not so sure, ROCK will obey them.

Looking forward to hearing your findings… If Rock does not enforce Read Only on a locally attached USB drive then that will change my decision to switch to Rock.

I do have to wonder if Roon will ever get around to addressing these content security issues. Surely they understand the implications and risks. Despite having backups, I would likely never notice that an album was inadvertently deleted…

I was able to run roon server as a service with NMMS tool.

I still don’t understand why Roon cannot run as a service, my Mediamonkey server, LMS, AssetUPNP and lots of other automated download tools work as services : this is a must-have for servers.

Autolog-on is a really BAD idea for servers : it generates numerous issues in terms of server security.

I have this same question for a MAC and I don’t see it answered, sorry :slight_smile:
" * What’s is the host name and port of ROON server ? I need to set this in Elgato Stream Deck – I know static IP of ROON server and its name but is doesn’t work when I enter values to Stream Deck software."

Looks like you may have two different questions. Getting Roon Server to start automatically on macOS is the same as for Windows…have to configure an account to login automatically and then configure Roon Server to launch at startup. Instructions for picking an account: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201476

How your home network translates host names to network addresses is site-specific. If you have configured the computer running Roon Server with a static IP address, you can probably just add that address and whatever name you want to use to the local hosts file on your Elgato system. Here’s an article that describes this: https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/name-resolution-and-dns-on-home-networks/

1 Like

May thanks :slight_smile: solved and Roon is FAB with Stream Deck! Many benefits, including that I can now control the volume on my amp without searching for the remote :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.