Running two cores

Hello

I have one core running at home on a dedicated machine and all is well.

I would like to purchase the 2nd core to run off my laptop which will just have the music I have exported to my Music folder on my laptop (so I can listen to music while at work).

Will it be easy to switch my Roon client (OSX) between the two cores? Or am I going to have trouble?

Many thanks

You have a license to run roon on any device as long as only one is “active” at any time.
The only problem you will have is that the databases will be seperate so changes you make on one will not be reflected in the other.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am happy with the databases being different as one will be a subset of the other. I know I need to purchase an additional core (as both are likely to be active).

My concern is how easy it is to switch between one and the other…

Not sure I understand the problem/question.

Well, I think he means if you can use the same remote for 2 different cores.

Oh ok I get it now, apologies. Very easy the laptop.will be core and client at work. When home just disconnect the laptop client from the laptop server and roon will ask which server you want to connect to.

Under settings there is a Disconnect box next to the current core…when you disconnect it will list any cores that are available to connect to. Assuming you have 2 lic’s you will be able to use both concurrently and chose whichever one from remote on that network.

Caviat I stop swap between both they must both be on the network subnet. Otherwise you will only see one core.

Hello @Barrie_Hadfield,

Just wanted to confirm what the other people are saying here, switching the OSX Roon Remote will be as simple as going to Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect (from Current Core) -> Selecting desired Core.

Our KB Article here provides a bit more info, but if you are running the two cores and have purchased licenses for both, they will show up underneath each other if the Cores are on the same network or just one of them if separate networks (depending on which of the networks you are connected to). Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Thank you all for the help. That is great news. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I purchase a Nucleus to run the Roon core at home but leave the Roon core on my laptop for travel, is it as easy as disconnecting Roon from the Nucleus and connecting to my laptop before I leave home and all is good? This would be with one license and only using one core at a time. I definitely need to keep the core on my laptop because we spend considerable time away for home.

If it’s a hassle at all, I’ll forgo the Nucleus and just use my laptop.

Hi @Jim_F,

Yes, all you would have to do is have an active internet connection on the laptop to authenticate it with our servers and go to Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect -> Use this PC as the Core.

This wouldn’t require you to have an additional license as it would transfer over, but do note that you can only use the license on one Core at a time, so you can’t have both the PC and the Nucleus running as Cores at the same time.

You can of course run the laptop in “client mode” and connect to the Nucleus Core at home and still have control of the Nucleus and see your audio devices, even the one’s connected to the laptop.

2 Likes

Thanks. I guess it’s probable I would want to use the laptop as a Roon control device even if I get a Nucleus. I spend a lot of time every day listening to music with my laptop on my lap. It would be easier to use it as the control device than my iPad or iPhone. I will probably order a Nucleus in December or January. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.