Roon Core Machine

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-Core Processor 3.80

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎01/‎01/‎2020
OS build 19042.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Keenetic VIVA router kn-1910, linked with 5e ethernet PC and Stream box connected via ethernet cable

Connected Audio Devices

Stream Box S2 ultra
Marantz SA KI Ruby as a DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Introduction
Dear Roon developers,
First of all, thank you for the Roon software.

I have checked several scenarios including direct connection of my PC to DAC - native DSD works fine with it.
Also i have checked stream box s2 ultra with IFI micro bl and native DSD support scenarios works correctly. So i believe it is a software issue.

the CASE

I am running Roon core on my x86 PC (Win 10) with Pro-ject audio stream box s2 ultra as roon ready end point and Marantz SA KI Ruby as dac.

After updating to Roon 1.8 straight away native DSD scenarion stops working, only DoP settings within stream box s2, and i found out changes with sound quality are dramaticaly changed to the worse part with DoP.
Is there is posibbility to return to previous version of Roon? or how to fix the issue. By Swithching from DoP to DSD native (save settings button) several times had no sence.

upd
After updating stream box s2 ultra to 1.071 nither native DSD, nor DoP works correctly so every scenario just converts to PCM 352 kHz

Regards,
Leonid

Hi @Leonid_Kravchuk,

We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble with DSD playback on your Stream Box since updating the firmware.

Can you please reach out to Pro-Ject Support to see if they have any advice for you? Once they’re able to get your DSD functionality restored on that device we’d be happy to help you configure it in Roon.

Thank you Jamie, for the response!

Unfortunatly, it seems like after updating ROON software to 1.8 and move to setings > audio > show advanced> options refering to dsd playback (max sample rate (DSD) blured or no more supported by ROON with MARANTZ SA KI Ryby (only max sample rate (PCM) option exists).
I have also checked DSD support with plugin IFI IDSD black label, and MYTEK LYBERTY DAC to STREAMBOX S2 ULTRA and with settings > audio > show advanced> options refering to dsd playback (max sample rate (DSD) exists and native DSD playback reflects correctly at signal path

upd: after hooking PC to KI Ruby directly to PC via USB, DSD plaback strategy appears with Native DSD posobility, BUT after 30 seconds of playing, playback stoped and at DSD plaback strategy only 3 options left: 1.Convert to PCM, 2.DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP), Initial dCS method.
So this experiment confirms that smth wrong on Roon software side.
Please check and confirm. Thank you in advance!

upd2: after restarting PC and roon core server, roon software player and turning off and on SA KI ruby “Native DSD” at playback strategy returns back.

upd 3: situation described as per upd 2 repeated in several minutes of playback. then again restarting roon server and roon player helped with returnig back Native DSD playback scenario.

Hi @Leonid_Kravchuk,

Thank you for following up with me on this. I’m reaching out to our hardware expert to see if he has any advice. Can you please tell me how the Pro-Ject Stream Box is connected to the Marantz SA KI Ruby? I’m not seeing that info in your initial post. That’s a detail that he’ll need. Thanks!

1 Like

Dear Jamie, thank you for the reply!
Project stream box s2 ultra is connected via USB cable to Marantz SA KI Ruby (and this is the only way) and via ethernet cable 5e with router, so thats is how my Marantz SA KI Ruby communciating with ROON system at my home.
Today i will test NATIVE DSD scenario with another software player (audirvana studio) on PC directly connected to Marantz SA KI Ruby and reply back so to exclude software bugs or technical issues with Marantz SA KI Ruby.
Regards,
Leonid

upd: 4

Dear Jamie, so with other software player works fine with local music! Maybe some isues with NAS, because i use ROON lybrary from NAS server.

Thank you for these updates @Leonid_Kravchuk, I’ll be back in touch when I have next steps for you.

Hello @Leonid_Kravchuk,

Our Hardware Expert has indicated that there haven’t been changes in Roon to how the Streambox is treated. You’ll need to reach out to Pro-Ject Support for next steps. We hope that they have a speedy resolution!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.