Same Album, Different Sample Rate Shouldn't = Duplicate

Yeah, there is almost certainly more we can do here, even beyond the editing. The biggest issue is that there are so many different use cases for hiding duplicates, and we need to make sure the feature works sensibly for all of them.

Some people want all 11 versions of Miles Davis “Kind Of Blue” shown as one album in the browser, since they think of them as variations of the same album, regardless of track count, format, etc. Some people want only exact file matches deduped. Some people want sensible behavior when watching folders with content that overlaps, and they may have lossy vs lossless vs high res copies of the same album that they want to pick their “primary” copy for once.

The current behavior will likely dedupe the versions of Kind Of Blue that have the same number of tracks, but may leave versions with bonus tracks (or bonus discs) untouched. If you want to add those into the set, you’ll be able to. If you want to “ungroup” them all and see every version separately, that will also be available. And of course, even now you can turn off deduping completely in Settings.

We can add more options in here, but my opinion is that this often ends up being a matter of personal preference, even on an album by album basis. For me, it’s likely to involve some grooming to be exactly right in my collection no matter what.

Hope that makes sense. Interested to know how are you guys thinking about using this feature!