Saving albums by Composers

I think you are misunderstanding the terminology here.

On a Composer page, the “Appearances” list is for when the composer performs in the recording. So it is perfectly correct that the Fumanti album is listed on Bach’s page as “From my library” under the Overview tab, and in the “Composed by” list under the Discography tab.

Bach doesn’t have a “Appearances” list, since he died before recordings were made.

Let’s take an example of a composer, who also performed in recordings… Leonard Bernstein.

You can access his page in Roon in two ways: via the Artist browser, and via the Composer browser. That’s because Bernstein was both a performer (and recordings exist of his performances) and a composer. Here is his page (viewing the Overview tab) showing the “Albums in my library” and the “Appearances in my library” lists:

The “Albums in my library” is the list of albums where Bernstein was a performer (in this case, the conductor) for the complete album.

The “Appearances in my library” is where Bernstein appears as a performer in some, but not all, of the works on an album, or has composed a work on the album.

Now let’s switch to the Discography tab and select albums that are in my library:

(the page was too long to fit into one screenshot, so I’ve scrolled down for the second screenshot)

Here we see four lists, not two as under the Overview tab:

• Main albums
  • Appearances
  • Composed by
  • Compilations

What happens on this page is that the “Appearances in my library” list under the Overview tab gets split in two:

• Appearances - where Bernstein appears as a performer on part of an album
  • Composed by - where Bernstein has composed a work that is contained on an album

Roon recognises that some albums are compilations with different groups of performers, and shows these as Compilations, with “Various Artists” as the Primary Artist.

In Bernstein’s case, he appears as a conductor in two of the Compilation albums in my library, and they are listed here.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.