Scanning library at start up

If I quit the Roon Core which runs on a Mac Mini Late 2014 8GB ram and restart the software it starts to scan the library every time. Using a NAS and the library consists of a bit over 300.000 songs it takes some time. It’s set up with watched folder. It this normal procedure?
If so possible to schedule scanning?

/Harry

Hey @Harryup,

We do a quick re-scan on startup to look for new files in your library, but it shouldn’t take long, and shouldn’t scan the entire drive again.

That said, right now Roon is a 32bit application, which limits the amount of memory we have access to. 300k tracks is a bit more than we recommend running with, especially on OSX, so I’m wondering if you’re having memory issues that might be causing this issue.

Roon is moving to a 64 bit architecture soon, which should resolve any memory related issues here, but I’ll follow up via PM and we’ll get a better sense of what’s happening here.

Thanks @Harryup!

If it makes any difference I tried yesterday to just play music thru 2 remotes at the same time. No activity on the core otherwise. Then it took a bit more than an hour before the music hang. On one of the remotes Roon had freezed so I had to force quit Roon. But the other was just waiting and just timed out so it was enough to start the song again.
If I use a headless server, can I use another computer as core to control and replay from? Or ?

Thanks in advance.
Harry

RoonServer will function exactly like Roon, but without the interface.

So, you can connect USB DACs or supported network zones to RoonServer, and control them remotely from any device running Roon on the network. More details on that here.

I’d be happy to look into these issues more, but I can tell you that when Roon is running out of memory, it can have a wide variety of effects, and can be nearly impossible to debug. RoonServer is worth a shot, but the real solution is to get your collection to a size that’s currently supported, or to wait for our 64 bit builds which are coming soon.

Let me know if you have any more questions @Harryup – thanks!