Scanning Library Never Completes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus+ (build 783)
Roon Client running on Windows 10 PC (build 783)
Media stored on Synology NAS
Roon set to only scan on Startup
7082 tracks imported, 7132 files scanned

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All devices on same subnet, with wired network
Using ubiquiti switches for all devices, including NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Using various ethernet connected Roon ready devices i.e. Naim Uniti Nova, Auralic Vega G1

Description Of Issue

Scanning of library never completes i.e. spinning icon on top right hand side of screen. I’ve done the following troubleshooting:

1. Ran a scanner to look for corrupt FLAC files - found about 12, and I deleted them all
  2. Then deleted all non-flac files i.e. pdf, jpg, gif, m4a, xml
  3. Removed the Storage folder from Roon, renamed the folder on the NAS, then added the folder back into Roon
  4. Rebooted the Nucleus+ many times - I only turn it on when I want to listen to music

When you “turn off” the Nucleus don’t you just put it into standby ?

Maybe unplug it and force a true reboot ?

Can’t hurt. If I see this issue I normally reboot my Windows Core , to clear it

Or, it’s getting stuck on a bad/malformed file. You can check the scanner status by clicking the spinning wheel, delete the file it’s stuck on, and see it then gets further.

Thanks Mike, it’s turned off at the power point each time.

Hi Mike, it does not show it getting stuck on any files unfortunately.

Hi @Mark_Sandford

Can you click the spinner in the upper-right and share a screenshot of what the screen shows?

Can you also share a screenshot of Settings > Storage?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

Please see screenshots below - and thanks for your help.

Regards
Mark

Hi @Mark_Sandford

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Hi Dylan,

I’ve done the couple of reboots for you.

Thanks very much.

Regards
Mark

Hi Dylan,

I’m sorry, as I missed your comments about the timestamps, so I have done this again. Below are the following time stamps for Australian Central Standard Time - I am located in Adelaide, Australia.

1. Started Roon at 3:38pm
  2. Restarted at 3:43pm
  3. Shutdown Roon at 3:48pm

Regards
Mark

Hi @Mark_Sandford

I just wanted to let you know that diagnostics were enabled to look at the times you mentioned above. The team is looking into this and we’ll be in touch as soon as we have completed our analysis of the report. Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

I figured out the cause of the issue months ago, so there is no need for you to look into it any further. Can you please ensure logging is turned off for my account?

For anyone else with a similar issue, is was special characters (unicode) in the name of the files which caused the errors - see screenshot below.

specialchars

Regards
Mark

Hi @dylan

Can you please confirm if diagnostics has been disabled for my account?

Thanks
Mark

Sorry for the late response, @Mark_Sandford

Yes, we are no longer running diagnostics on your account. I’m glad you were able to get up and running. Thanks!