Scanning Won't Stop: SonicOrbiter

I’ve rebooted everything trying to get Roon from stopping to scan my folder. In the top right hand corner, the scan circle keeps scanning.

1. Rebooted network router (soft reboot) … no change.
  2. Rebooted SonicTransporter and UltraRendu … no change.
  3. Logged out of TIDAL and rebooted ROON on PC … no change
  4. Logged back into TIDAL … no change
  5. Rebooted the NAS where the music files reside … no change

Yet it continues to scan even though all media appears to be there.

Hello @Herb_Goedecke, can you elaborate on your setup, particularly your network setup?

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

• Details on your Core machine: SGC SonicTransporter i9 (Roon Server Version:1.7 (build 667) stable; Roon Server Database Size: 5.1GB; Roon Server Cache Size: 71MB)

• Details on your Remote: (WIN10 PC, Dell XPS, Roon Version 1.7 (build 667) stable (64bit))

• Networking details (CAT6 hard-wired network, Luxul 26 Port/24 PoE+ Gigabit Managed Switch)

• Network Audio Adapters: Sonore UltraRendu, BlueOS Pulse Flex 2i and Soundbar 2i, Squeezebox Touch)

• Library details: All media stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS 214, 41,406 Tracks)

• Tidal subscription activated

As mentioned in my first message, I completed the following:

• Rebooted network router (soft reboot) … no change.
  • Rebooted SonicTransporter and UltraRendu … no change.
  • Logged out of TIDAL and rebooted ROON on PC … no change
  • Logged back into TIDAL … no change
  • Rebooted the ReadyNAS 214 where the music files reside … no change

Hello @Herb_Goedecke, does this still happen if you connect the NAS directly to the core and bypass the switch? Also, have the numbers gone up, or are you stuck at that spot?

No difference on the physical connections.

No, the numbers don’t move … it just scrolls. Sometimes it goes away but then resumes.

Hello @Herb_Goedecke,

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Before you restart your Roon core, stop your Roon server first.

Hello again,

I completed the reboot instructions that you specified above. I started the process around 5:50pm EDT and concluded the last reboot (after the spinner went for another 5 minutes) at around 6:15pm on Thursday November 5th.

I also have access to the Roon Server Diagnostics Log from the Sonic Orbiter STi9 if you would like to review. Please advise on how to get that to you.

Hello @Herb_Goedecke,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Roon tells me we need to update the kernel to resolve this issue.

I updated the standard sonicTransporter kernel to 5.6. You just need to press the update button and reboot to get the fix.

2 Likes

This problem has re-emerged. Roon constantly scans & rescans from the NAS location. In fact, at times, it seems to completely lose connection with the NAS folder, then re-establishes the link, and starts another rescan all over again.

I completed the following to troubleshoot:

1. Powered down the STi9
  2. Powered down the UltraRendu/UltraDigital
  3. Rebooted the NAS containing the music files.

Once the NAS was back up, I tested access to the music files via VLC Player from a PC. No problems … smooth playback with no disconnection to the NAS.

Repowered the SonicTransporter first, cleared the Roon cache. Then, repowered the UltraRendu/UltraDigital.

Launched Roon from a PC and that’s when the scanning re-started. Once finished, it remains stable for about 5 min, loses the connection to the NAS folder, re-establishes the connection and starts the scan function all over again.

This cycle just keeps repeating, over and over. Roon is unusable as all local files lose sync. Tidal files, ironically, don’t lose connection and files continue to play.

Why this keeps occurring is beyond me. Need help.

We can help you go to https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/ and submit a support ticket.

@Herb_Goedecke you are running the latest 5.6 kernel. @nuwriy any other idea what could be causing this?

Not sure what has transpired since this post but the problem no longer appears. When I loaded Roon yesterday, I saw a message that Roon needed to be updated.

While I did not see a prompt to update Roon software when I went into the SonicTransporter i9 and UltraRendu, I rebooted both Roon services and - voila - all seems to be good now.

Absolutely no evidence of Roon scanning upon startup!

Would be nice to know what has gone on behind the scenes to fix this.

Cheers,
Herb…

Good to hear Roon fixed this bug. I had a few other customs with this issue.

Hello @Herb_Goedecke, I don’t believe any changes regarding this issue were implemented on our side but I’m glad things are working again!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.