Scheduled updates

Yeah you can do that already. Just turn off automatic updates in the settings. Another option for people to autoupdate at a specific time has zero impact on your settings

Nobody is offended, you are just wrong, sorry.

No, you did not vote. You wrote that you don’t want and need the feature, and that’s fine, but there are only upvotes

3 Likes

Maybe temper your sweeping generalization. What you call “gatekeeping” or “pour[ing] cold water” on certain feature requests actually may be educational and productive dialogue.

Not all feature requests are created equal. Many feature requests are naive or not well thought out. Some overlook significant downsides. And because of Roon’s design priorities, some feature requests stand a snowball’s chance in hell of being implemented.

Pointing out negatives and highly unlikely probabilities gives the community balanced information and reasonable expectations.

AJ

5 Likes

If I was Roon, I would want to hear all pros and cons people have to offer on all feature request. I see nothing wrong with people giving their opinion, whatever it is.

3 Likes

I am not offended. It’s just a fact that computers exist where you can choose your way and schedule to update and I can choose mine. The updates are not pushed by the server but pulled by the client, according to their own schedule.

1 Like

Pretty much exactly what I said.

In this case you don’t seem to be disagreeing with the feature request, which asked precisely for the option of choosing their own user specific time for a scheduled update.

2 Likes

Several steps during update. Scan plus database update. This takes some time with collections larger than yours. Wouldn’t be an issue if done at a time I will not be listening. Thus my request. And sure, your milage may vary.

1 Like

I like when updates come. I manually trigger them immediately and enjoy while proceeding. It never takes more than 5 minutes at the worst with my >220K tracks.

If you could set the time of the update, you would not set it to a time that was inconvenient.

1 Like

The update does take seconds, but the subsequent DATABASE UPDATE takes 20+ minutes,as a function of the size of your library.

Speaking as a software developer, having to upgrade the database every time you update the application code is terrible software design. If the banks were doing this, you would never be able to get any money from the bank or the bank machine!

So yes, we need this feature, lack of which constitutes 50% of my dissatisfaction with Roon.

The other 50% has to do with the fact that Roon breaks playlists every time music files are moved from one to another location on the LAN.

1 Like

I for one don’t want a 3 am update time as that would mess with my scheduled backup time.

3 am was an example. It said explicitly “at a user specified time (e.g. 3.00 am)” in the OP. The idea is that a user can configure a time that is convenient for them. It’s obvious and I can’t believe it has to be repeated.

2 Likes

This topic is going round and round the mulberry bush.

I don’t believe this. The requested feature is to be able to schedule your Roon update whenever you want it. How can you have a problem with it?

If we had this feature, you can set the time when you want the Roon upgrade. 3am should not be hard-coded! Or, don’t use this feature at all, keep it as it is now.

But don’t be blocking other people who need this feature.

In general, I have limited time to listen to music at night, but every time I open Roon, there is an update that wastes my listening time and makes me angry at Roon.

This is the same feature in Windows 10, which makes life easy. I never have to worry about a Windows 10 update, it just does it itself. This is what I want from Roon.

My Roon server runs 24/7.

2 Likes

You obviously know very little about software development and software complexity, if you think this feature is complex.

1 Like

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Whether you put much store in qualifications I don’t know but I am a Microsoft Certified developer (MCSD) and worked as a developer (amongst other roles) for a major South African corporate

Any software change may be simple the ongoing ramifications might well not be . How many moan do we see here for “little changes” that spin off hidden effects

3 Likes

Rather than getting angry about it, why not change the setting to ‘Ask before downloading any updates’? That way you can run the update at the end of your listening session.

1 Like

Because its easier to have something Shiny & New rather than investigate what’s already there :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I already thought about it. Now I just have to reign in my instinct reaction to click the Update All button very quickly.

1 Like

I agree with you, but would like to see far fewer updates