Schiit Yggdrasil problem when using exclusive mode

@Eric

Any good news on the research?

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG and @Inno – we appreciate your patience here.

We had a meeting about this yesterday, and we’re hoping to have some more concrete progress soon.

For now I wanted to reassure you guys that we are following up with Schiit and continuing to test internally, and we’ll follow up here as soon as we have some more news. Thanks all!

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG and @Inno ----- Touching base with you both, as we still continue to investigate this behavior you have reported to us with your Schiit devices.

As @mike mentioned in his previous post, we have been conducting internal tests and coordinating with the folks over at Schiit to acquire the necessary equipment for testing in our QA lab. We understand that this has taken a bit longer than we’d like so again, your patience and understanding have both been very appreciated by the team.

Despite the team’s best efforts, we are still struggling to reproduce this issue in house. Our CTO has asked if you could please confirm that your Schiit drivers are up to date (which I believe they are :thumbsup:) as well as your operating system as Schiit’s recommendation is to use microsoft’s driver on all platforms where it works.

-Eric

@Eric,
Sorry for being late on the response.

Since my trial ran out I haven’t been checking the forum often as I can, though I can still chip in.

Yes, I have confirmed with Schiit support that I am indeed using the Microsoft driver for my Schiit Yggdrasil

and they are the newest driver version according to windows driver updtes. (at least, back then)

I have a Gen 5 that’s working perfectly in Roon.

Please confirm there are no Schiit drivers installed. Make sure you are on the latest Windows 10 feature update aka Fall Creators Update.

Post a screen capture of the driver version in your device manager. Post screen captures of your Roon device settings.

@Eric , @Inno

I’ve done some further research. The Microsoft Class Compliant USB 2.0 driver is still broken in Roon with Event Style WASAPI enabled. It will play the first 3-5 seconds of a song and then give a transport error and move to the next track and repeat. It can be force installed to the Yggy but isn’t the default driver that gets installed.

Interestingly the default driver that was installed when I plugged in the Yggdrasil into my W10 box is the following. It works properly with Exclusive and Event Style WASAPI. This driver might be left over from my McIntosh C47 or Ayre Codex, but these driver sets were uninstalled quite some time ago.

With regards to the Microsoft USB 2 Class compliant driver, the issue was reported quite some time ago, and a bug report was generated. Not sure why it still hasn’t been fixed?

Is it not the same Windows-based, 2.0 compliant driver in use for all Schiit products? I’m using the Microsoft-supplied driver on Windows 10 with a Mimby and I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I realize this doesn’t help anyone, specifically, but, that has been my experience.

Well I would of thought so, but the driver It installed for me was the cmedia listed above. The class compliant Microsoft driver can be manually installed in my case but doesn’t work event style for me with roon. Yet works perfectly with hqplayer.

Very strange behavior, Jeff. I’ll try to do some Googling and see if I can find some info which is actually helpful.

So you use event-style? What is your driver version and release date?

Jeff, I’ve more recently been using the Bluesound Vault 2 and haven’t used my Mimby in a bit.

I do have a disability, and these relatively quick things do take me a little time. I ask that you please be patient and I will swap it out.

No worries, I don’t have an issue as the CMedia driver works fine for me. I’m just trying to help Inno.

@DrTone

This is my C media

@Eric and thanks for reinstate the trial.

edit: Yup, just tried it tonight, still the same issue, failed at WASPI exclusive mode, but ASIO works fine.

No problem, @DrTone. I must have gotten a bit thrown at some point in following the thread.

@Inno I’m perplexed. I may have missed it earlier, but, have you posted info for your audio properties (ie right click volume->playback devices->right click on the device->properties)?

Have you disabled all enhancements? Made sure the default format is the highest the DAC can handle? Made sure both checkboxes under “exclusive mode” are checked?

Apologies if any of this is redundant…

My settings in Roon with the C-Media driver are as follows:

Exclusive
Event-Style
Max sample rate 192
Max bit depth 24
Resync delay 1.5s (The Yaggy takes some time with it’s relays to change sample rates)
DSD convert of course.

@Joe_Strain No apology is needed, we are just trying to figure this out. but yes, both disable enhancement and alllow exclusive mode are clicked.

@DrTone Besdies resyne delay and buffer, our setting was pretty much the same. I now changed it to 1.5s and 250ms as but , but still, initialize fails.

@Inno, have you tried a different cable and different USB port? I know it shouldn’t matter because ASIO works but you never know.

that was the first thing I tried a long long time ago XD

Just to throw it out there, not sure if it matter, but my motherboard has only USB 3.0 and no 2.0

I’m plugged into a SOTM USB 3.0 card. TI chipset.

@Eric Hey Eric, were you guys ever be able to figure out what caused the issue with exclusive mode?

Even if it’s a factory defect, please let us know… Since I might be sending my Yggy back to Schiit in near future and if it’s the hardware, I can request them to take a look as well.