Scratchy or static like noise

I am noticing a noise from my Nucleus+. The best way I can describe it is as higher pitched and scratchy or static like. I do not have an internal drive in it and it is just on my rack with all other equipment turned off. Is this common? Idea of causes?

Hi @rcaudio,

Can you send us a video of what you’re hearing?

Is the Nucleus functioning properly outside of this?

Can you verify where and when this device was purchased?

Hi Dylan,

I put a video on Vimeo, here’s the link: https://vimeo.com/359582790

The noise is a little difficult to hear from the camera but you can start hearing it around 4 seconds, then fades as I move around the back of the unit and becomes louder again at about 17 sec. I also recorded an mp3 track that I’ll try and send.

I just bought the unit from Echo Audio in Portland last week. Once I was able to get it linked to my NAS and my library it has been playing fine.

Richard

Hi @rcaudio,

Do you have anything connected to the Nucleus via HDMI or USB? If you disconnect them are you still hearing this?

I have USB to my DAC. I disconnected and it’s still there. I even disconnected the ethernet line and still there. So the only thing connected is power.

Dylan,

I powered off the unit and the noise stops. When I powered it back on it starts again in about 10 seconds or so. Richard

Does the noise still occur if you move the Nucleus away from sitting on top of your other equipment?

(I assume that since you mention a NAS, that there is no hard drive that has been installed in the Nucleus - so that can’t possibly be the source of mechanical noise)

Hi @rcaudio,

Thanks for confirming that. I checked with the team on this, and we were hoping you could verify a couple things for us so we can better understand where this sound may be stemming from:

• Are you using the power supply that came with the Nucleus? Have you tried a different power supply?
  • Is the Nucleus plugged directly into the wall?
  • If you take the Nucleus out of the rack and plug it in using the standard power supply directly to a wall outlet does the same noise still occur?

I am using the supplied PSU. It is model #YHY-19003500. I don’t have another supply off hand to use. There is no disk inside the unit, it is a bare bones Nuc+.

I removed the Nucleus from my rack and plugged it directly into the wall with no other connections. It still makes the noise. I created a new video to give you a birds eye view and listen, the noise starts at about 19 seconds: https://vimeo.com/359867092

I used a stethoscope to have a closer listen. The noise comes through all over the top of the unit. It changes tone but seems to be strongest on the right side and near the rear where the power comes in.

And a look inside, nothing dramatic or out of the ordinary that I can tell. Could it be a noisy crystal?

Also the PSU.

Hi @rcaudio,

I discussed your report a bit further with the team over the weekend. Moving forward, the next step is to understand if the same behavior occurs with a different power supply. I know that you mentioned that you do not have one, but your dealer should be able to assist here. If you take this device to Echo Audio that can work with us on some further troubleshooting steps.

If you have any questions please let us know!

Hi Dylan,

What exactly does “take this device to Echo” mean? Do I have to leave the unit there? For how long?
Do they or will they have a different supply? I was in their shop late last week and they did not mention it. Their showroom unit btw is dead silent.

I waited months to get a unit and paid for a Nuc+. I do not want to be without the music source. Why not replace this unit and then you guys can figure out what’s causing it? If it’s the power supply what are you going to do for me? And why do you think would a DC source cause this inside the unit? The noise is definitely coming from there.

Hi @rcaudio,

We are going to reach out to Echo Audio regarding the next steps here and will discuss how to best resolve this issue with them. Can you confirm the serial number of the Nucleus? You can find this via the Nucleus Web Administration Interface.

Dylan, it’s Serial #54B2030BBBC9. That is actually another issue I earlier contacted Support on but didn’t hear back. The label as you can see is smeared. That is how it was out of the box while I was still at the store. It would appear someone was not careful or the process doesn’t allow enough dry time. In any case it should pass QA in my experience.

Hi Dylan,

I plan to stop at Echo tomorrow to see what they can tell me. I have a question though. If one were to use a LPS what (DC) voltage and amperage would you recommend?

Hi @rcaudio,

We recommend 19V / 65W.

Hi Dylan,

Just talked with folks at Echo Audio and they tell me they have not heard from you. Very disappointing how this being handled. So what’s the deal?

Richard

Hey Richard,

I spoke with Dylan about this and I think there was a miscommunication on our side.

I’m going to make sure we look into this and figure out what went wrong, and I’ll make sure someone reaches out to Echo Audio as well – our apologies for the delay.

Thanks, and apologies for the delay.

M

Excellent, thanks guys.