SCROLLING Lyrics on play screen [Implemented for Roon displays, App Screen still pending]

I come from foobar2000, and this is one of the first features I am missing on Roon.

It’s so nice to be able to view the lyrics while listening to a song, especially when it scrolls the current line in sync with the singing.

So to be clear, this feature request is for scrolling the lyrics and highlighting the currently sang verse.

If foobar2000 can do it, how hard can it be?

1 Like

This has come up before, and this message from @brian sounded promising. I suspect that it might be an element of the major UI rewrite that the Roonies are reportedly working on. Since they never discuss timescales, it will appear if/when it appears.

1 Like

At last my dreams of forcing karaoke on my friends and family approach fruition.

3 Likes

Yeah, we are working on this. We’ve licensed lyrics data with embedded timecodes…and now it’s about plumbing work to get it in the right places + fitting it into the product design.

2 Likes

Thank you @Geoff_Coupe and Brian!

This is very exciting indeed, and I think @andybob agrees with me.

Goran

1 Like

Can we have a bouncing ball over the current word?

Just joking… :blush:

2 Likes

Yesssss!!!:fireworks::confetti_ball:

If you heard me sing you may change your mind!

This is far more exciting.

Bouncing Roon logo!

1 Like

Please add the ability to read embedded lyrics in file tags and/or add lyrics to songs in Roon self, would also be nice if you could add timestamps as well.

I don’t like relying on roon metadata, as 95% of non-english music doesn’t even have lyrics in Roon anyways.

Indeed, lyrics are a capital idea, and occasionally provide a burst of joy! Georges

Real-time lyrics implemented, as described here: Roon 1.5 (Build 354) Is Live!

I guess it’s up to the moderators to decide whether they change the title of this to something like ‘done’, ‘solved’, etc.

I’ve updated the title to reflect current state of play.

Wait a second, I hadn’t gone completely blind: I have double checked, and the microphone icon, that indicates synced lyrics, appears on my PC but not on my Android phone!

Yeah!

Scrolling lyrics is a great feature for me!
So great in fact, that I would like to be able to select for scrolling lyrics in Inspector.
Sometimes I like to have a hearing session based on lyrics …

Or is this already possible and I just did not find it?

The only place I’ve seen it is in Focus under Tracks. And it’s for both lyrics and time-coded lyrics. It would be nice if they allowed us to pick time-coded specifically.