Scrolling slow with 1.8 (incl. 763) on 2 different Android devices and on Windows

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
Roon Server Version 1.8 (build 763) stable
NUC 10i5 w/ 16 GB, 250 GB database SSD (99% of 227 GB available)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritzbox 6591 Cable (250 Mbit/s downlink)
(Cat 6a)
> English Electric 8Switch
(Cat 6a)
> Roon Rock

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim NDX2 via Ethernet (Cat 6a) to Rock

Description Of Issue

Scrolling album list is sluggish with Roon 1.8 on:

• Motorola G8 Power phone (2020), Android 10, Roon build 763, 4 GB RAM
  • Samsung Tab A 10.1 (2019), Android 10, Roon build 763, 3 GB RAM
  • Windows version running on Ubuntu 20.04.2 w/ Wine on a Dell XPS 15 9575 (2018), 16 GB RAM, Core i7 8th Gen, also Roon build 763.

All three are connected with wifi, the wifi receiver is max 5 meter away and in sight. The Dell and the Samsung are connected with 5 GHz at 500-800 Mbit/s whenever I look, the Motorola usually selects 2.4 GHz also with good bandwidth.

With 1.8, scrolling through the list of approx. 2000 albums in the library, all three devices frequently shows gray (missing) covers. They get filled up during scrolling, but the whole process feels sluggish and on the Samsung is also stuttering.
Then I scroll back, and the albums are gray again.
The problem is more pronounced on the Samsung, which has a slower CPU.

If I remember correctly, the behavior was similar (maybe not quite as bad) with the default settings of Roon 1.7.
However, with 1.7 I increased the album cover cache to 256 MB (IIRC) on all devices and then it was pretty smooth.

With 1.8, the album cover cache setting disappeared, and I don’t know what the default choice is.
The problem existed right after the initial 1.8 update to build 748/756, but reporting now as is still occurring in 763

2 Likes

Hey @Suedkiez,

Thanks for reaching out about this - we’re sorry about the trouble. We do appreciate the detailed description. Would there be any chance of recording and sharing with us a short video so we can have a better understanding of what you’re experiencing?

This will help us with the next steps.

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @beka please see the video (from the Samsung where it is worst). As you can see it does not get better even after it had the chance to load all albums. Cache too small?

https://youtu.be/jZsGfbRddP8

Hi @Suedkiez

There are a number of factors that play into this behavior you’re seeing — Remote performance, Core performance, network performance, and library size. Depending on these factors, album artwork can definitely load a little slower than we’d like in some cases.

We’re always working to optimize Roon’s performance, so I’ve passed this feedback along to the team to take into consideration for future developments.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks, like I wrote this did not occur with 1.7 with the exact same hardware everywhere, at least after i increased the cover cache size in the setting (that is now gone). At least my laptop is reasonably fast, the wifi speed is very good and the core is also overspecced, so …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.