Search by record label outside library

Search by label on streaming services SHOULD BE a must!! In every streming service one have connected in Roon.
If one search for a particular label, Proprius, Fonè, Dreyfus, ECM, Velut Luna and other audiophile labels for example, it’s useful to know how much and what albums of that label i have in my library…but the real deal is to discover the ones present in Tidal that i don’t know!! Only in this way one can really explore things. I want to know the exaustive list of the jazz Columbia albums of the ‘50 and ‘60 present on Tidal! And create a tag with that name that automatically contains all that albums, so that little by little i hear all of that.
I want to know all the Philips piano records of ‘60 and ‘70…NOT on my library! On Tidal!
And finally, it’s so difficult to dinstinguish on every album between the DATE OF RECORDING (i want THAT!) and the release date (i want two: the original release, and the actual mastering release)?
Because if a ‘67 Deutsche Grammophon is remastered 2010, often it happens only with that date, and NOT with the date pf recording or original release (way to useful for classification, search and studying and exploring music!)

4 Likes

Isn’t the search function (in Roon) limited to return only the 200(?) most popular/relevant results?
So a search for bigger labels would never return all albums anyway?

As far as I can tell, Label search still only gives results within your library, not what’s available from your streaming service (Qobuz in my case) that isn’t already added to your library.

If this is incorrect, would you show us how? Everything I tried only gives results within my library.

2 Likes

+1

I understand it must be tricky, given the fact you have labels, sub labels and potentially sub-sub…

But it would be huge, given many of us are fans also of a particular label.

2 Likes

+1,
seconded this feature request

Thats’s the same behaviour I am seeing,

I’d love to type in “Alligator Records” or whatever, and see everything that Qobuz has available on that label. Great suggestion.

2 Likes

This feature would be a great addition and in my opinion crucial .

2 Likes

This is a huge one for me!

1 Like

I support this, too.
I also want to see the record label right on top of the album view, customizable like the info of the file’s audio quality.
Then I want to be able to click on that label and Roon shows me all the albums from my library and from any subscribed streaming service like Tidal and Qobuz.

Today, if you want to know which record label an album is from; In album view click on Credits (instead of Tracks) and scroll all the looong way down and there it is.
This information is far to much hidden and deserves a better placing.

Sometimes it’s a struggle to find certain classical works. You don’t remember if the data was in English f.i. „symphony“ or if it was in German f.i. „Sinfonie“. You can imagine that this would generate different outcomes in search.
But I can more easily remember on which label the album was that I am looking for.
Or I simply enjoy music from a certain label and want to discover new artists/music from them, and find it more easily.

2 Likes

Currently a label search only brings up those albums from a particular label one already has in one’s collection. A genuinely full label search would be an enormous improvement. One could then – for example – see every Blue Note album available through Tidal and Roon.

Several years ago the streaming service Rdio offered this feature. As you probably know Apple bought Rdio and killed it. But the results of a label search on Rdio absolutely brought up all albums associated with the label that Rdio offered. It was a very valuable feature.

@Phil_Wright you asked me to let you know…

29 Likes

Thanks Geoff.

+1 for this functionality. It would be really good to search by ECM, ACT, Erato etc etc.

5 Likes

+1 for this. With so much music being released now, I use labels more than ever to find great new music.

4 Likes

I concur :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

2 Likes

+1
I would add a globally better advanced search. The search feature is really poor in Roon.

1 Like

Indeed - Qobuz have for a long while offered ‘Label’ searches and hyperlinks - yes please! Also native Qobuz search has just been improved and Roon is still quite strange - for example “Mahler: Symphony No. 5” finds just about any Mahler symphony and can be filtered to get to the one you want, whilst “Mahler Symphony” finds but a few? “Mahler: Synpnonie 5” finds other albums titled “Symphony” not found before when typing “Mahler Symphony” really weird!

1 Like

@support

Have I missed something? Despite all the search improvements in Roon 1.7 this does not seem to be one of them.

Can someone explain why not? It does not seem complicated and far less advanced streaming services (the old Rdio for one) offered this years ago.

I’d like to be able to see all the Blue Note or Verve, or ECM titles Roon makes available. I’m sure others have favorite labels as well.

1 Like

I use focus to display all my albums from a specific label. This works well for me.

+1 also to search by any criteria for non library stuff would be great as it appears to be title or artist only.

1 Like

as far as i have understood…
label infos (actually, all release infos) in roon are 90% fake, because:

1. an identified album is most of the times matched with a DB entry not correspondig to the real album. that means the entries “released”, “label” (and even other production credits) are not the real ones.
  2. this is a problem, clearly, only for those albums with many different releases, under different international labels.

i think that, basically, roon metadata are quite robust on some aspects (composition and composer), but poor on others (perfomers, release dates etc).
and tha’t why you can explore albums/tracks/composer/compositions… and you cannot explore performers! or labels…