Search by record label outside library

Not at all against but after many years of being on the forum injecting some reality of adoption.
Many feature requests, finite coding and bang per buck is needed.

I don’t think it’s a case of users being against “improvements” it’s more a question of balance & priorities. The feature request category invites suggestions for new features & modification (improvement) to existing features and there are hundreds of them.

I’m sure the developers, given time, would love to be able to incorporate all of the suggestions but in our “real world” situation it’s not going to happen without a substantial increase in developer numbers (and subscription rates).

Personally, I think time should be spend resolving issues and refining, time permitting, existing functionality especially when there are easy access, free, alternatives.

This hits the nail on the head. I probably wouldn’t want to browse a label like ECM or Deutche Gramophone. But I love to browse and do deep dives on smaller independent labels like Gondwana, Jazzman, Linn, Tru Thoughts, Real World, Big Crown, etc etc

2 Likes

Please add the ability to be able to search (record) labels online. At the moment this seems to be restricted to my library.

Thanks,

Nick

:wink:

@nickharambee,
I’ve merged your topic into this existing one.
I noticed you hadn’t voted for you own suggestion, if you wish to you still can but now it’s at the top of this topic.

1 Like

I came here looking for this feature. I have no more votes to give, but, as they say… “+1”

1 Like

September 2022: it does! You can find now a lot of stuff from Reprise.

Don’t think I’ve seen this permutation mentioned: with this function, one could imagine a next step where you’re able to ‘favorite’ labels, and when new albums are released, they feature in the ‘new releases for you’… This would be a huge game changer for me.

7 Likes

For me it would be helpful to see the labelname direct in the header-info (for example aside by 44,1 khz etc.) and not down in the player, composer etc. tab.

3 Likes

Another vote to have search by label in Qobuz (or other streaming service). It is a great way to explore music and recordings.

1 Like

+1 for this feature. Would be extremely useful for me, too.

1 Like

Vote at the top, please, if you haven’t

1 Like

Like the idea. Roon already provides more than the streaming services. For example entering a search for conductor and composer will often (not always) provide a search result with both. The focus tool is inconsistently available, however, for many searches focus isn’t available. Filter is. But neither Focus nor Filter permit search by label. Qobuz (can’t comment upon Tidal, Spotify, Apple or Amazon) permits searches by label, but doesn’t allow for Boolean searches (conductor and label and composer, for example). I’ve asked Qobuz about this, but as with this current line of suggestions, much easier to request/suggest than to code with time/$$ expenditure with possible foreseen/unforeseen interactions with other code elements. Roon, with a search George Szell Bartok, is the only software among those mentioned that will provide a result including Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra, George Szell, The Cleveland Orchestra. It also provides other results, but it got me to the recording I was seeking. Quasi Boolean.

I’ve added my vote to the top, but would modify the request as implementing true Boolean logic searches. Lots of material out there and sometimes it’s challenging to find/refind it.

2 Likes

same this is definitely something i would love to be able to do in Roon. Only just today i was looking at trying to play music from the Ninja Tunes label and couldn’t find how to do this in roon (i don’t want to just play music from my own library). Again i can search and filter by label in Qobuz, but to be able to create a playlist is somewhat clunky - if this was available in Roon it would be awesome… COME ON ROON, GET IT SORTED!!

1 Like

voted. this would be super cool!

So we have Roon 2, we have ARC, we have multi-lingual support, we have new streaming services in Asia added… all big stuff and amazing… but here we are years after this was suggested in umpteen different threads and still no label search outside of the local library!

Another use is for finding the right version of say a jazz classic. Trying to find the original release from the original label is a very long winded affair, as Qobuz has such a range of releases for any one album, ranging from official and authorised remasters to knock offs often from vinyl rips… a simple field for ‘Label’ on the ‘versions’ page would deal with this easily… I swear if Roon release a major version update with some whizz bang new feature again without fixing the loads of issues like this we have been asking for ACTUAL YEARS I shall have to write a stern letter to my MP!!

1 Like

Just to labour the point… Hyperion has just allowed streaming access to its range of classical recordings, a quick search on Qobuz brings up the albums streamed so far (more to come). So if the metadata is there I suppose this must either be an integration issue for Roon or maybe the feature hasn’t even been examined as yet? Really, perhaps it would be just nice to know?

1 Like

Actually, playing with Qobuz and Roon the last few minutes and I have discovered that, on the Roon artist page in Discography you can use the Focus drop down and all the labels Qobuz streams are displayed there for choosing!

So at least I can cut out the rubbish that way… having said that there are hundreds of labels listed, many are the same label with slightly different spellings, such as Blue Note and Blue Note Records… maybe there’s a clue as to why Roon tries to exclude so many as it does!

Edit: So one strategy is possibly to go to the Art Pepper artist page say, then select the ‘English Wikipedia’ biography, scroll down to the bottom and click the link to the Wikipedia page (as a trusted source of label information), once there scroll down to the ‘discography’ section, then select the album required and go to that page, note the original and subsequent release labels (probably because the original has likely been sold), go back to Roon and Focus for that label name… it works, but you have to really want to do this! :blush:

Edit 2: Cancel that! The Art of Pepper is available on Qobuz under the Blue Note label, but this does not appear in Roon under the Art Pepper discography with Blue Note or Blue Note Records label selected in Focus? Ah well, back to square one…

Unless something has changed or I’ve misunderstood your post, Focus still only shows labels (and their albums) within your library.