Search is broken, it is indefensible

This gladly is not the case. Search does find “unidentified” albums. It would be a true disaster if not. If you have less mainstream albums - or even mainstream albums, sadly loads cannot be identified.
I also first thought this might be the problem that caused bad results in Roon Search.

But this is not the problem I have a huge amount of unidentified albums and they get found by Search. BUT Roon decides to ignore albums in the library whether they are identified or unidentified. So the cause is elsewhere.

1 Like

Nope, not in my case. (Not in all cases at least)

There seem to be some curiosities regarding this… I see this behaviour in some scenarios, others not?

All right, Sir. No further questions :neutral_face:

I appreciate this is a workaround and it DOES work so thank you for giving me at least something I can use, but that doesn’t rectift the problem that a basic word-matching search in the search bar doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Wow, that is bad.

In my case that would mean 1700 albums that are “unidentified” there simply is no metadata in Roon. But great tags created by yours truly. :wink:

Search does find them. Otherwise it would be even worse than it is at the moment.

2 Likes

Sorry I appreciate you are just trying to help, I didn’t mean to be rude.

Alright, all good! As I described, I have the same problem as you. And I feel the same: it should just work as expected. But since it’s obviously not as simple as we would like it to be, I’m trying to understand where the hidden flaw may be…

@Squeezemenicely . Interestingly, the albums it found didn’t mention Sutherland in the main artist or title, where it does, it found it. Clearly she is on the album, but Roon can’t read the album cover like we can. :grinning:

In your metadata, does it list Sutherland as an artist?

If it does, then Roon needs to add those fields to the search function.

If it doesn’t, it might explain why it isn’t coming up. It may be the absence of Sutherland in the metadata is excluding it.

Does “love train crystal” yield any results? How about “hot love in spain”?

It should find it, otherwise, it seems that the album hasn’t been indexed at all in the search index, which points to a bug.

2 Likes

@ultrafud - please can you respond to the questions from @zenit - he is Roon Labs staff and working on the Search service. He is trying to help you…

I truly hope you were joking.
yes there is metadata in the library where Sutherland and loads of other artists are included.
That is the difference to Pop albums, you have many artists on an album.
Roon search does include these - but not always. As you can see in my example.
Using the focus on the second picture - focussing on Joan Sutherland, it finds all albums with her in my library - so Roon knows the exist and also knows where to find them.

So it looks like there is some inconsistency regarding when Roon picks up the artist and doesn’t if it is in the metadata.

It would be interesting to compare the metadata of the album it found against those that it didn’t.

Instead of search go to albums, use the filter and enter your search terms, exact spelling. I will bet that after just entering rodelinda, you will see what you want.

After I cleaned up my library metadata with SongKong my searches worked better. I suspect in some cases, particularly when people have ripped their own files, there may be less-than-obvious metadata problems.

1 Like

Don’t know if this has been answered. I am too aggravated about the thread to read much further.

You can find what albums are unidentified by using ‘Focus’ from the album page to find the identified albums and reversing the criteria.

Once you get all the unidentified albums in Focus, you can set up a Bookmark that will dynamically update with any future unidentified albums.

This helped me -

And yes, the suckiness of Roon’s Search is indefensible, but it seems like a good will effort to fix that is being made. These posters that want to make it seem like it’s your fault are not unbiased when reading what you’re posting.

I wonder if this is the case? Three scenarios:

1. local files which are “In” your library
  2. streaming albums or tracks that are “In” your library
  3. streaming service vast pool of results

I think cases 1 and 2 should be treated the same and should be given priority over case 3.

I agree with suggestions in other posts about adding filters on the search results page – hey, this search is off base, let me filter only on Albums.

2 Likes

??? Did you not see the picture in my post?
I showed that the albums were in my library using focus. Yes that works. But we are discussing the search function and that should give these results.

It really sometimes seems like people want to misunderstand.
The guy in charge acknowledged that this problem exists and that he will try and fix it. So really I do not understand this going around in circles with users stating the problem does not exist.

1 Like

Sorry for the stupid question, but is the album tagged?
If it isn’t, Roon might not find it.

I don’t work for Roon and I don’t feel I need to defend my choice for using it. In fact I have posted several examples of the search being broken in a precious thread.

But I saw a lot of effort in fixing these problems by Roon. I consider the search functionality definitely “imperfect” but by no means “indefensible”.

It appears that under some conditions the “global” search returns incomplete results (that is, less results returned bs using the “local/library” search). This indeed seems to be a bug. Like all (software) bugs it needs to be reproducible before any developer can attempt to fix it. A good such case is the “Rodelinda” one. The next step would be for someone to look at the metadata of the albums shown under the local search and check why the global one fails to find them. I experimented with unidentified albums in my local library where I manually edited the title (for example adding HDCD to the title to distinguish it from the main release). I cannot reproduce the issue. That does not mean there is no bug. It simply means that we have not found the specific combination of features that lead to a bug. Let’s help Roon developers do so

@zenit knows about the bug and has promised to fix it. He also knows why all this happens (or so it appeared) so it is in the works. But sadly the priority was not high enough - to me it is the most basic and important search function.

It is simply amusing, how many users there are who simply try and say the problem does not exist and it is the users fault.
I remember when a few others and myself complained about the search function giving endless examples and conversations with Danny, which helped in search getting better - there were also loads of little battles about how search was not that bad with some users. Strangely after the new fix many people say search is so much better, quite a few of them were in the crowd that had stated there was no problem before the fixes…
Sometimes it feels like one should never discuss politics, religion or Roon…

As for now I give up. Either it is fixed or not. Atleast I know how to work around the problem. But it simply should not be difficult to find existing albums in Roon. Roon has become a bit of a cult. :wink:

1 Like