Search results appearing in seemingly random order

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could advise on this. I listen to A LOT of compilations and have about 200 or so albums that I tend to frequent. Whenever I search for Various Artists, the results appear to be completely random - as in I don’t get them sorted alphabetically by artist or by album name.

Is this normal and/or is it possible to change the behavior? If anyone has any general advice for organizing compilations as well I’d be happy to listen.

Thanks!

In Settings - General the last setting is ‘Name for Compilation Sorting’

If you choose ‘Use Album Title’ your compilation albums will be sortied on the Album title , as all your other albums. If you choose ‘Use Various Artists’ , all comilation Albums will be sorted (grouped) together.

Dirk

Appreciate the response, but that doesn’t make any difference.

Search is one of the big frustrations I am having with Roon. It’s been pointed at many times by many users. There are open feature requests - but nothing seems to happen.

But then of course searching for “Various Artists” is maybe not the greatest example on which to expect precise search results in the first place.

What happens if you search for a specific artist?

I have no issues searching for specific artists.

I just find it a bit odd that the search results aren’t even organized alphabetically. Makes extremely little sense to just have them appear in a random order.

Agreed. This should be done in a better way.

I have to ask, why you subscribed to Roon at all. Not really heard one positive comment from you at all.

Any way to the op if their in your library then use focus not search and it its all alphabetical. It’s much better for this type of searching you can then save a bookmark for quick access at any time to this search and it will auto update when you add new ones to your collection.

“So far I gotta say I am absolutely loving Roon. Wish I’d tried this years ago.”

“I have to say I am absolutely delighted with this software and have never used anything that has just worked so seemlessly with all my devices.”

“I can honestly say I wish I had switched to Roon years ago.”

“I can only speak from my personal experience but I set up a Docker on Unraid a few weeks ago with absolutely zero hassle and it has been working flawlessly ever since.”

“I have tried lots of other free music software in the last few months (quarantine project) and will HAPPILY be paying the yearly cost for this as it just solves so many issues and works so damn well.”

“The annual subscription alone is quite pricey for me, but I want to support the developers and its a great product.”

I’ve literally only posted 10 comments on this forum and I can give you 6 examples of me saying extremely positive things about Roon.

It was not aimed at you.

Ah right, my mistake.

1 Like

No.probelmo.

Also your technique sorted my issue a little. It’s a bit counter intuitive using Focus rather than just search and I need to get it drilled into my head.

So far I’ve posted two problems with basically the same solution. Maybe this time it will sink in!

Focus is just a search with better filtering, but it’s for your library only not online service searching. Using it combined with bookmarking is very powerful and easy way to use Roon for this type of thing, if your using them all the time. It’s just a one click after initial setup after that.

I don’t use any online services so that’s fine. I just need to get into the habit of the way Roon does things rather than the way I used to do things.

It does take time to adjust but when you do and it clicks, it seems second nature and everything else is backwards.

I agree the global search needs work though as you cant filter enough. Hopefully we get changed herest some point.

Indeed

/10Char