Search results will not display 2nd level results

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Dell server / WinSvr2012 R2 / Latest Roon Server build available from downloads
HP desktop / Win10 / latest Roon app build available from downloads
iPhone 6S / iOS 12.4.1 / latest Roon Remote (1.7.00505)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

all the PCs are wired to an AppleTalk router and the iPhone is connected wireless

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

ifi Nano connected via USB to the HP Desktop

Description Of Issue

When I search for an album/artist my Roon app (on the PC or iOS) will display the returned artist/album result but when selecting the artist/album all I see is the “throbber” waiting for results. This happens on the actual server running the core, the PC I have networked running the app and the Roon remote I use on my iPhone. I can restart the server and it works for a while then stops.

Additionally, I get no results in the Tidal extension at all when Tidal is selected from the menu. Radio does not play at all anymore.

To select and play a song/album from the Roon Remote on my iPhone, I have to find it in the display of “Discover” or “Recent”. I can play the song/album without issue (it will stop for no reason on occasion) but the Roon Radio function will not pick up after the songs have played despite having the Roon Radio slider mover to On.
I can add items to my queue and that plays well.

Tidal operates flawlessly in its native app from the iPhone and the HP desktop.

Hi @Mike_Mora,

Just to verify, do you mean an Apple Airport router? What is the model you’re using here?

Are you using any other networking gear?

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation) running version 7.8.1 OS
No other devices on my network.

Not trying to be a jack wagon here but my renewal is on Jan. 4th and if I can’t make this work I’ll have to move on to another platform. I absolutely love the Roon platform when it works but I have been spending more time jacking with my music than listening to it.

Hi @Mike_Mora,

When did this behavior start occurring? Has this always happened or was this a recent change? Was there a change to your setup around this time?

I’d also like to note that, as mentioned in our Networking Guide, we generally recommend against Apple networking gear as we’ve found them to be somewhat unreliable and can cause networking issues like this. If this worked previously there may be something else going on here, but I did just want to mention this.

Since experiencing this have you tried rebooting your router and Core machine?

There were no changes evident to me that occurred with my setup. It was mildly buggy in the beginning of the year in that I wasn’t connecting to the Roon Server but those went away.

I removed the teredo tunneling on the Dell server and was unable to see results when clicking thru to the 2nd level of results from the Roon client on the Dell server.

My AirPort worked all last year with Roon.

Hi @Mike_Mora,

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing in Roon?

We’ve also seen that Google DNS can help in situations like this and might be worth trying out to see if there are improvements.

So I pulled the nuclear solution and installed the Roon server on my HP Win10 machine. This seems to have worked. I am able to get search results and can select 2nd level results and get results. Roon radio is operating as expected and Tidal works. I lost all my tagging and album consolidation (especially annoying on Various Artist albums). I don’t believe using a previous backup will net anything other than more problems.

What sort of issues or concerns should I be aware of when using Win10, i.e. desktop sleeping, run server as a service, etc.?

Hi @Mike_Mora,

For Windows you’ll want to make sure that you set firewall exceptions for RoonServer and RAATServer and make sure the machine isn’t set to sleep when you might be using it, but otherwise you shouldn’t have any issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.