Search/sort by format and version

Is it possible to search/sort the library by the terms of “format” and/or “version” (listed in the settings/general menu)?

Format, yes you can focus on Format. Go to Albums, click on focus, move the focus window over to see the hidden menu on the right, Choose Format.

I’m not sure what you mean by version. Version as the field you can Edit, I don’t believe is searchable. Although it probably should be eventually.

Thank you. Wow, the focus is a very cool feature!

As far as a version, I noticed that Roon can pick it up form the name of the folder if it is in a bracket. In the mean time that feature does not work with numbers. Could you please tell me what format the version can be neutered int eh folder name?

We ignore four-digit numbers when parsing album versions out of directory names–since these are almost always a duplication of the release date, which is already represented elsewhere. We also ignore some common strings that are also better represented using other parts of Roon’s data model like “flac”, “sdtk”, “ep”, “single”, “ost”.

Roon can also fill the version field with the contents of a VERSION tag in the file. This is not subject to the filtering I described above–so it might be a good workaround.

1 Like

I am also interested in searching by version. I have made good use of the feature (new in 1.3?) to auto-populate the VERSION field from [text] in the Album Title field. In practice, I have mostly used this to label box sets after splitting them into individual albums, which I find more navigable (for example, Naxos 30th anniversary box and Harmonia Mundi 50th anniversary box, both of which are essentially a collection of individual album releases). I now realize I could apply Tags instead of Versions, but that presents the problem of finding all of the individual albums without using Search or Focus.

Interestingly, I came up with the exact same solution to identify the boxset name inside disc names after splitting boxset into individual discs. Note that using “(…)” works identically to “[…]” .

I think this interesting feature deserves a mention inside the Roon user guide.