Searches Freeze or very slow

Silent PC, I5 8400 - 16GB - WIN10 64 BIT - Roon 1.6 (Build 416) Stable (64 BIT) - OS running on 256GB SSD

Network Details (LINKSYS VELOP MESH NETWORK in BRIDGE MODE to BT SmartHub. Core to Main Hifi Ethernet CAT 6/7, Control iPad Pro 10.5 & iPhone XR)

Meridian 218 zone/DSP Speakers, optical/Mu-So/Mu-So QB both AirPlay

I have noticed over the past few weeks (& I search tidal a lot) that searches are intermittently slow & on occasions appear to “freeze” completely. Closing the client application & reopening, then applying the same search criteria generally clears the problem but not always.
Search times (in logs) are pretty good and average around 45ms but the log also has many track load failures!

Hi @PixelPopper,

Thanks for opening this new thread and for providing those details. Those search times do seem to be ok and I just checked on the failed to load trackid traces you noticed with the team.

Those are likely due to old tracks that have been added to your queue at one point but have since been moved from their original location (watched folder was removed or track is not accessible anymore) so I would not say it is directly related just yet.

Let’s run a the following test here:

Can you please this test the next time you’re in this state and respond with the exact local time that you start the test (e.g. 11:38AM) and the time that each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

– Noris

Thanks Norris, it’s bookmarked, I’ll be in touch.

Paul

Hi Norris,

Checks performed as requested, the delays have been longer but this is a reasonable example.

Client was iPad Pro 10.5

My initial search took place at 14:24

Item 7. Play took no more than a couple of seconds to start.

Regards

Paul

Hi Noris, another screenshot of the log file, below. Backend searches are “BIG” I quickly checked the speed test & results were approximately 17Mb/s up & 45Mb/s down. I was searching for “Matt brewer.”

Same problem here. Have noticed search time outs and slowness over the last weeks. My inital thought was that it might be caused from my huge libary which is located on a Synology DS1517+, but I haven’t expierenced any slowness or time outs any time before (my Roon ROCK and libary on DS1517+ worked flawless for 2 years - even after I migrated the music files from the NUC’s internal/external hard disks to the DS1517+ in December 2018).

I’m running a Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC6i5syh. My files are stored on a Synology DS1517+

Hi Noris
Another long duration search, connection speeds 45 download 18 upload.

@noris support

Is there any progress on the above submissions?

Hi @PixelPopper,

Apologies for the slow response here. I have been discussing your findings & other users with the technical team on a fairly regular basis, hence Mike’s recent post here: (Build 416 Search Performance Feedback).

As Mike mentioned, we are going to be dedicating some more dev resources in this area to further improve search performance and the information you have provided so far will be of great help in this aspect.

One of the more recent questions that could be useful here would be – does this issue occur most often at certain times of the day? For example, do you only see the slow searched in the morning/evening time or does it seem to happen regardless of the time of day?

– Noris

Hi Noris,
The issue seems to be random. I generally do most of my searching during the day (U.K.) but not exclusively. I will keep a record of the next few occurrences.

Thanks for your response.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.