Searching artwork and semi-freeze

Occasionally, when searching for album art, the options of artwork that are shown against the CD are blank. The vast majority of searches are OK, but occasionally the ones that I have had to edit some of the metadata causes the system to semi-freeze with no images coming up for any of the options. Then when I come out of the search the artwork on previous library pages has disappeared. Simply remedied by closing Roon and then restarting.
Set-up - Nucleus+: Zoneripper/NAS: Ipad: headphones.
Currently uploading my CD collection (in flac) to NAS (via Zoneripper); not yet integrated into main system.
Library currently stands at 49,147 songs.

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please share a screenshot of what you are seeing when you experience this behavior? Does the same behavior occur across multiple Roon Remotes?

Seeing a gray “blank” artwork would indicate that Roon does not have metadata associated with that album and this does sometimes happen for lesser-known artists, are the artists that you have found to exhibit this issue fall into the more niche category?

The first screen shot shows all albums in the search grey, but the album J.J. Barnes does have artwork because when i loaded the double album one disc had the artwork and the other didn’t! Problem started after edited merge.
The other screen shots are after the semi-freeze and before.
No other devices connected, as stated in Set-up.

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots, this does help clarify things a bit. It would appear that the iPad may be running out of resources to display the album covers, can you please let me know how much free space is left on the iPad? You can find this in Settings -> General -> About on your iPad itself (not the Roon app). Also, is there any change if you re-install the Roon app?

Free space - under capacity (in my settings 32 GB) it states Available 19.15GB
If I am running out of free space then why when I have an issue and close Roon and then reopen there isn’t an issue? And why doesn’t this happen more often but keeps happening every time with this particular album?
I haven’t re-installed Roon, am a bit unsure what will happen to all the edited/manipulated albums, also how to un-install and then re- install. Is a matter off deleting the app and then re-installing the app?
As can be seen from the question I’m not particularly computer savvy!

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

Thanks for confirming you have enough free space available. Let’s proceed as follows:

1. Can you please open the Roon iPad App once more, let it connect to your Core and then use it for at least a few minutes (5-10)? I am enabling diagnostics mode for your account and what this does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis.

2. Re-install the Roon app on the iPad (only after performing the above test).This can be done by pressing and holding the Roon app on the iPad (on the main menu screen) and then clicking the subsequent “X” that pops up to delete the app. Once deleted, please re-install it from the App Store. All of your edits reside on the Core, so re-installing the app should not have any negative consequences.

Hi Noris,
The Roon app has been connected for awhile:

1. I’ve closed it, and clicked on the app and played 10 mins. Of music.
  2. Then delete the app and then go to the app store and re-install?
    Remember not tech savvy!

Hi Noris,
Success! But now i can only view 8 albums to a page instead of 21.

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

It looks like diagnostics from the iPad weren’t delivered, but in either case glad to hear that the reinstall helped with the issue!

Where exactly are you seeing this behavior? Can you please share a screenshot? You can upload screenshots here by pressing home + power button on your iPad to take it, then navigating to this community site on the iPad and pressing the "upload screenshot’ button. More info on this can be found here.

Hi Noris,

Firstly, let me thank you for your help.
When I go into overview > view all, all the library pages are in 8s as opposed to 21 previously, is it something I can change. I’ve looked in settings but nothing jumps out as obvious.
Thanks,
Paul

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

Thanks for clarifying the issue. I would go to Roon Settings -> General and try toggling the "Allow for more covers and photos? setting. Does that help?

Hi Noris,
Away from home/system for a few days, will try on my return home next week.
Thanks,
Paul

1 Like

Hi Noris,
Success.
One last issue, how do I see all the bios/ reviews on an artist instead of the singular one that comes up when you click on the album or artist. I’ve seen it demonstrated but not how to get to that screen with its various options.

HI @Paul_O_Grady,

Glad to hear the setting helped! As for the bios/reviews, these are all supplied from our metadata provider, there is no way to edit this or change it to any other writer’s bio.

Since reinstalling the app, are you seeing any further strange behavior or can I go ahead and close this thread out?

Hi Noris,
OK, but I’m not wishing to write my own reviews or bios, no. I’ve seen on Roon, on the web, multiple reviews of an album, but haven’t been able to work out how to navigate to it.

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

I’m not sure what you mean by “multiple reviews”, if you go to an artist (by clicking the blue hyperlink), a bio screen is presented. This information is from our metadata sources and there is only one per artist.

Hi Noris,
It was something I saw on you tube, it showed a page that had various icons on the top right of the screen - reviews: bios (I think): something else?: lyrics. I’ve tried to remember the you tube video, but can’t!

Anyway, thanks for your help, it’s good to know that such good support is on hand.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi @Paul_O_Grady,

Thanks for clarifying that, I believe you are referring to the Now Playing screen and not the Artist Bio page. You can access the Now Playing screen by clicking on the track in the bottom bar like so:

Note: You can also configure the options displayed as per the end of my example, hope this helps!

As for the main issue at hand, has the iPad shown all the proper artwork so far? Is the missing album art issue resolved?

Hi Noris,
Thanks again!

Got it, no new info on this screen and as you said just a single review.

Yes, all issues raised have been resolved (although as per lots of other peoples gripes, lots of missing artworks that Roon - or its partners- don’t have. Ahem, nothing’s perfect!

1 Like

Glad to hear it helped @Paul_O_Grady! Thanks again for reaching out to us and do let us know if you have any additional issues!