Searching Qobuz in Roon

In case it matters, I don’t have anything by Joe Cocker in my local library.

In the US it would be easy to explain based on who you voted for…
FWIW I get the proper result if I search for the title + Cocker.

2 Likes

This is on Tidal for me but I get similar nonsense when searching (not just for Joe Cocker but other stuff too):

Duran Duran

Jefferson Airplane:

At the risk of branching out to other examples too soon, I think Trevor’s Duran Duran example bears some clarification and highlighting:

• Most folks might say that all those karaoke versions are legitimate matches (I agree)
  • Folks might notice the actual correct match in the #3 position in albums under the View All link and might say these results are fine…

BUT, please note that that match is actually there because of the album name match.

The track match itself is nowhere to be found at all (the first match in the below screenshot is actually from an 80’s Hits mix album.

Thank you for clarifying my example @onaudio :+1:

I guess my intent with showing other examples is to show that this is not a limited issue.
As for karaoke versions being legitimate matches, yes, technically correct but I’m sure we all expect Roon to do better than that

I‘m getting exactly the same search result having Qobuz France subscription and no Joe Cocker in my local library. Similarly, I observe for a long time that searching by a Track title and Artist name very seldom leads to a positive hit. My workaround then is to do the search on google to identify the album and then search in Roon for that album. Indeed, this is maybe not the way search should work. I‘d really wish the feature request of offering a conventional search with AND, OR … TITLE… ALBUM… would probably resolve the issue, but the Roon team is rather deaf on that call.

I appreciate the feedback here, @onaudio. I’ve passed this along to our team as an example to use to make search better. We always appreciate examples and feedback like this!

I’m in UK both Qobuz and Tidal and I get this

Roons search is definitely most bizarre at times.

Even the Naim app could find this and it’s free.

Come on Roon this clearly isn’t good enough at all for a premium product. Search is an elementary part of any library system.

Thank you very much @dylan. Really glad that we’re able to provide some actionable clear cut use cases and specific examples for the team here (and many thanks to all who have been participating).

Two questions please:

• What is most useful for the team from this point forward regarding track level searches? Would more specific examples help?
  • When can we expect to get back some meaningful technical explanation and the team’s thinking on the trajectory of fixing track level searches? I am confident I speak for many when I say that for a premium product that costs as much as roon does, for the most fundamental track level searching being so broken for so long seemingly without any attention being paid to it has been incredibly frustrating and frankly unfair to the user base. It really significantly reduces the overall user experience and leaves a bad taste.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Well, what do you know? Roon asked me to install an update, I did so, and look what’s happened …

There is hope!

That’s interesting, I get the same results as you Jez. Don’t remember reading anything about search in the release notes!

1 Like

I now get the correct result after the update as well. :+1:

1 Like

Wonders will never cease! There is hope!

I think the tuning algorithm is one of those things that is constantly being tweaked behind the scenes. Roon Radio would be another, I’d surmise. That is why constructive, objectively documented faults are helpful. It seems Roon collects these gems to test/tweak the algorithm.

2 Likes

Yeah probably, or they hard coded a fix for this specific issue. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I find Roon very good but the search function is so poor!!!
I understand that searching in realtime in different and remote databases is difficult.
Why do no implement a simpler but very good search policy like Audirvana?

Please notice playlist search capability !!!

1 Like

I typed in the search (in US) exactly the same way and got Cocker’s version immediately. I have never looked up a Joe Cocker song before on Roon.
To muddy the waters, though, I wonder why The Animals’ version, by far the most popular, does not show up among the top several tracks.

It looks from your screenshot that Audirvana makes you choose between local, Qobuz and Tidal for your search. If this is true it wouldn’t suit me - I think the way Roon searches across your own stuff and Qobuz is commendable, I just wish it worked more usefully. But often Qobuz will do a better job - when I am frustrated with Roon I switch to the Qobuz app, find what I am looking for, favourite it, and then go back into Roon. Not ideal. Maybe there should be an option to pass a search to Qobuz directly from Roon.

3 Likes

I don’t have any specific examples to add at this time but I want to add my voice to the group indicating that I have noticed the same phenomena. When I search for an artist and their discography in Roon I frequently get a shorter list than when I am in the Qobuz app. This means that I can’t completely rely on Roon and therefore lessons it’s value to me.

2 Likes