Sentence case of track and album names

It seems like Roon assumes that all track names follow English capitalisation rules and use “Sentence Case” instead of honouring the case used in file names and tags. Here is one example from a Swedish artist:

In Roon I get album title “Då Staden Har Vaknat” and track title “Vem Är Du?” That is wrong!
The correct names are “Då staden har vaknat” and “Vem är du?”

File names are all correct case:
MagBook:Då staden har vaknat magnus$ ls -l
total 271968
-rwxrwxrwx 1 magnus staff 30194392 Dec 21 15:04 01 - Vem är du.m4a*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 magnus staff 30382028 Dec 21 15:04 02 - Tillbaks till mig.m4a*
. . .

Tags are correct case:
MagBook:Då staden har vaknat magnus$ ffprobe 01\ -\ Vem\ är\ du.m4a
. . .
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from ‘01 - Vem är du.m4a’:
Metadata:
major_brand : M4A
minor_version : 0
compatible_brands: M4A mp42isom
creation_time : 2014-12-21 14:14:38
title : Vem är du
artist : Irma
album_artist : Irma
composer : Billy Bolero
album : Då staden har vaknat
. . .

Why does Roon get it wrong?
How can I correct it?

Very annoying for someone with non-English music…

2 Likes

Hi @magnuslsjoberg – thanks for the report here.

We took a look, and it seems like one of our metadata providers has capitalized these incorrectly, which is why they’re showing up that way in Roon.

We’re going to take a couple actions to correct this:

• Report the error to our metadata provider
  • Update that provider in our database – going forward we will likely give added weight to the providers that got this right (only one got the capitalization wrong)
  • In the future, we will be offering additional controls that allow you to maintain the album’s match to Roon’s deep metadata, while still displaying the file tags for fields like album and track title

Thanks for the report @magnuslsjoberg – we’re on it!

2 Likes

[Oops! Just removed my comment by accident, it was something like this:]

Wow! That is what I call excellent support! Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Magnus

[…and this is the edit i meant to do:]
Perhaps we foreigners can help by editing this in Roon and have it sent automatically to the metadata provider?

I just found a lot of mistakes with the Swedish characters å ä ö as well…

Perhaps off topic but I have spent a lot of time getting this right with bliss, Metadatics, iTunes and other metadata editors but it seems like all providers are having great difficulties with this! I still don’t understand why physical CD’s aren’t recognised better (by any software). The CD has a unique ID and a bar code on the jewel case and I still have to use MusicBrainz, GD3, and a number of other tools to “guess” which CD it is!

2 Likes