Seriously? Metaverse?

I had to read this twice!
:astonished:

This is actually pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. I hope itā€™s not a joke.

Metaverse is here to stay. Participation is [still] voluntary. It may be one way to save the planet.

That is some really scary sh*t, the planets survival depends on a digital platform, that can be categorized as Ā«disruptive technologyĀ».
There are probably better ways to save the planet, but hey, whatever floats your boat :sunglasses:

1 Like

Can you explain how that might work? Iā€™m having a bit of a tough time getting from A ā†’ B.

In this particular case (music festival), the main advantage is that you donā€™t need to get from A to B :slight_smile: Anyone can participate from wherever they happen to be. No driving, no flying, no venue, no big crowds, no catering, no littering etc.

In the long term, it will probably change remote work for the better, so as long as work is still necessary, it may not be voluntary for too long.

@PeterD, itā€™s ā€œdisruptiveā€ indeed, but thatā€™s not necessarily a bad word. As with all technology, we can use it to our advantage or turn in against ourselves. It will probably be a combinationā€¦

Just so long as it doesnā€™t turn out to be like Otherlandā€¦

1 Like

For some people in some circumstances. Fortunately I wonā€™t be one of the people and will try not to have such unfortunate circumstances.
If Zuckerberg hadnā€™t locked himself in, with his golden share votes he would be exiting.

I wonder how many people said that about computers and Internet. You seem to be using both, but of course, I donā€™t know your circumstances.

I was at Microsoft trying to flog hololens at its start so am fully knowledgeable. Hence my cynicism.
Second Life comes to mind

1 Like

This is what the voice in my head says when I hear ā€œmetaverseā€ā€¦

I donā€™t knowā€¦

Frankly, I think the world would be a far better place if we could look each other in the eye ā€” in real life ā€” and say, ā€œI appreciate being with you here.ā€

The metacurse, like many aspects of the internet, eliminates direct human interaction and replaces it with a digitized abstraction of reality, where subtle nuances of speech, body positioning and intonation are completely eliminated from the language of communication. Misunderstandings inevitably occur.

Itā€™s like digitizing and uploading images of a great culinary invention, complete with a step-by-step recipe.

Can you taste it, in that form? Not until you experience it directly, and it is better when shared.

The problem seems to me that this type of tech is causing us to be ever more distant from one another, rather than bringing us togetherā€¦

ā€¦ he says by typing with thumbs on his cell phone. That irony has not escaped me.

So, I donā€™t think it will save the world. Rather, I think it will hasten its demise by even further removing ourselves from that which truly matters.

Anyway, itā€™s just a thought. Click that Like and Subscribe buttonā€¦

1 Like

All valid points. Weā€™ve been talking about these issues for years now. But youā€™re looking only at the downsides. The are upsides too, like accessibility. We lost something when we started printing books instead of copying them by hand, but we got so much more in return. We can do it while maintaining common sense. I havenā€™t gotten a chance to see Bjƶrk and Ozzy live yet, so if itā€™s going to be in the metaverse, Iā€™ll take it. And Iā€™ll set my own volume; no need for the pesky ear plugs!

1 Like

But you arenā€™t seeing them live just on a more immersive TV. Itā€™s nothing like live.

TBH I too can think of ways to save the planet involving Zuck and Meta. But maybe a slightly bit different ā€¦

1 Like

If you will never have the chance to see them than the meta verse option can be attractive.
If you have the chance than a BluRay might still be sufficient compared to meta verse.

100% true

butā€¦ I would have not been able to see Arnolfini Portrait - Wikipedia until 31 if not for photography. Is it the same, clearly not. I would not know any book unless I see the manuscript if not the printing pressā€¦ I would not have been able to know about Homer until a meet a bard if not for writingā€¦ same, clearly not but right now Iā€™m listening to LSO live and London Symphony Orchestra are having a beer in a pub.

I would 100% choose the live event, picture, experience in any case

Will I need a tent? I hope it doesnā€™t rain!

1 Like

You can definitely make it rain in the metaverse, but I bet getting wet there is not that bad.

1 Like