Server Advice for running Roon

My Mac mini is a 2018 3.2 GHz 6-core i7 with 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD. I keep my library on a 512 GB SD card (soon to be extended to a 1 TB SD card), and I am using an external 2 TB SSD for library/Roon backup.

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why no music stored on the internal HD?
Also I was just looking at the specs of the IMac, I donā€™t see a slot for the SD card?

I am using the Mac Mini for other things, too, like MatLab. I just want to save memory.
The Mini has no SD card slot either, but there are SD card adapters. Mine is for USB-C, but there are Adapters for USB 2.0 as well.

Antipodes audio just get 12 g together

The advantage of a Nucleus or Rock installed on a small PC is they run headless. No keyboard or monitor required. Updates done in the background with no intervention. A small amount of DIY up front means no DIY ever again. Another option is a quiet fanless PC running Windows 10. Many vendors make powerful fanless PCs. My desktop is a fanless I7. Roon runs great with Windows 10 and if you decide to leave Roon youā€™ll still have a very capable PC.

Iā€™d go the Mac Mini if you are firmly in the Apple ecosystem. Easy to run it headless via Screen Sharing if you are an all Apple household.

Wow 2TB SSD - that sounds expensive! Impressive though. :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve had fine performance with multiple endpoints running the music off hard drives.

Post 2018 Mac Miniā€™s donā€™t have an SD slot. You would only get better performance accessing the library than the Mac Miniā€™s internal hard drive if you used at least an UHD-II speed card or above with a USB-C/thunderbolt adapter. Not sure why youā€™d do that.

The hybrid drive should work fine. Files that get accessed/modified frequently like the Roon library get prioritised to the SSD portion of the drive automatically. Itā€™s not quite as good as a dedicated SSD but Iā€™m sure would work fine.

1 Like

Thanks all, I decided to go with the Nucleus. I was able to get decent deal on a used one and it seemed like the easiest path. will keep everyone posted.

3 Likes