Server loses sight of Roon audio devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Apple Mac Mini i5 (mid-2011). OS X 10.13.6, RoonServer 1.6 build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired network, all Cat6e cable, running at 1Gb/s. Internet connection 1Gb/s symmetrical

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon:
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5/Meridian USB MQA DAC
Raspberry Pi/Ropiee/Meridian USB MQA DAC
Raspberry Pi/Ropiee/USB output to Linn DAC
iPhone XS Max
Ipad Pro 10.5
iPhone 6S PLus

Airplay/Shairplay:
Raspberry Pi, analogue output
Apple TV 4

Description Of Issue

At least once a day, Roonserver loses sight of all Roon devices, leaving only Airplay/Shairplay devices showing. It is then necessary to quit and restart the Roon Server app to make everything reappear.

Hi @Richard_Harris,

Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear (router/switches/range extenders/powerline adapters/ect.) and how the Core is connected in this setup? Is the behavior the same if you try temporarily connecting the Mac Mini via Ethernet to the primary router?

– Noris

Main switch is a Netgear GS724Tv4 - 1Gb/s managed switch (no VLANs configured). Linksys WRT1900ACS router/WAP + 2*Airport Express on wired backbone (shared SSID), all devices apart from phones & tablets connected over shielded Cat6e). Nothing in the network configuration has changed since we installed Roon - it was working fine until about a month ago.

Hi @Richard_Harris,

Thanks for providing those additional details. When this behavior occurs, all of your audio devices disappear, including both USB connected and network connected audio devices?

Has anything else changed in the past month with regards to your setup? Perhaps a firmware update on the router/switches or and OSX system update?

If all of the devices are disappearing around the same time I would check the Core closer. Are you running any firewall blocking applications such as McAFee, Bullguard, Little Snitch? I have seen reports of these interfering with Roon in the past.

I still think it would be a worthwhile test to bypass the switches and have the Core connected directly to the router and one of your endpoints as well. If both Core + endpoint is connected to the router and the router-connected endpoint works as expected but the rest that are connected through the switch do not show up, that would also give us a great data point.

Can you give my above suggestions a try and let me know if it helps?

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.